Author Topic: Candyland  (Read 757 times)

Offline steve4464

• NEClimbs Junior Member
Candyland
« on: August 03, 2017, 01:40:22 PM »
Ventured up Candyland on Mt Webster last weekend. Fun climb although IMHO still needs a little work/traffic to be three stars.

Thoughts/notes -

We did a lot of approach trail cleaning - branch clearing, etc on way up so so should easier and safer for eyes 😜.

P2 now only has one pin - I reached back to test it and it fell out.

P4 could be IMHO a little more fun and maybe a 5.5/6 if cleaned a little and a bolt added. I tried but a lot of dried lichen made that way a little too tenuous for me with only 3 pieces of pro on whole pitch and I went over to 5.4.

Also, the belay on P4 is a little awkward. I belayed from a tree about 20 below rap tree with possible rock/scree issue.

All pitches were fun and mostly clean. I made great use of my smaller X4 Offsets -using them on most pitches with the small flaring cracks.

P9 the climbers trail needs " some work " to get here. Bush whacking of some level is necessary and for at least 100'. There was confusion  both with us and the party behind us on the actual pitch up the head wall once there. We ended up backing off the area we were on after getting onto the arete portion due to uncertainty and time of day.  The other party never found  anything that they thought looked like the description.

Rapping - the last last rap station is at least 100' - not 50' , north of pitch 3 belay and very well hidden ,living up to its Indiana Jones name.

IMHO - if this gets some traffic a bolted rap route would be great plus it could put you way down the face and cut out the gulley travel. A couple of spots where crossed fingers helped a lot with rope not getting stuck with greatest concern of stuck rope is rap down the gulley.

The hike out the gulley is "ok".

Fun day, fun climb just needs a little traffic and maintenance - IMHO.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: Candyland
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 06:05:49 AM »
sounds like a fun "adventure climb". the kind of thing George Hurley would have enjoyed BITD.
Al Hospers

Offline rbirk

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: Candyland
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 11:59:13 AM »
A little late.. I went up that route a couple of weeks later after you and wrote up a description with pics in MP:
https://www.mountainproject.com/route/113519613/candyland
Like Like x 1 View List