Author Topic: Deliberately sabotaged anchors?  (Read 507 times)

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Deliberately sabotaged anchors?
« on: September 14, 2017, 09:50:22 PM »
I wrote the following in this week's Report, but wanted to break it out here separately.

I received a very disturbing email just before I went away on my vacation regarding anchors. according to the person who sent it, he has found some anchors that apparently have been deliberately made unsafe. I have no way to verify this information, but regardless it brings up something that we all should do on a regular basis, which is examine any and all fixed anchors BEFORE we clip in or rappel from them. While I have never personally seen any that were sabotaged, I have seen many that were basically worn out or damaged by animals. Simply assuming that an anchor is good, is a bad idea - most especially when the outcome of an anchor failing can be catastrophic.

FWIW I received the information in a .DOCX file, which I was unable to convert to something more useable than a JPG. Regardless, here it is. Make of it what you will...

http://www.neclimbs.com/wmr_pix/20170914/RapAnchorWarning.jpg
Al Hospers

Offline Ducayet

• NEClimbs Newbie
Re: Deliberately sabotaged anchors?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 02:19:09 PM »
It is pretty hard to determine if a cord was "cut", as in from a knife, or if a critter decided to give it a chew. I leave a lot of rope and electrical wires out in forests for work and a lot of it gets gnawed on, rarely do they chew all the way through something before they figure out it's not food.

Regardless of malicious intent, the take home message is the same: check out any fixed anchors, especially the soft stuff.

Thanks for sharing this.

Offline Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 02:38:43 PM »
A good friend and fellow guide wondered if the routes in question are also climbed as winter routes. He suggested that someone could have cut the cords to remove in the winter and then found them so frozen in place that he didn't remove them. While I find this far fetched (although I hope not as farfetched as deliberate sabotage!)and in the case of
the blue one seemingly " just lengthened" , impossible, I would hope that in such a case, the "cutter" would at least                                                                                                                                                                                cut again in the front to make the damage obvious!! In any case, the message to take away should be clear to all of us. Check the integrity of ALL components of ANY and ALL belay and rappel anchors before trusting your life and those of your party to them!! I'll never again just clip into a sling around a tree at the end of a pitch, without checking it first. "Forewarned is forearmed"  :'(

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 08:36:28 AM »
Question/ if someone sabotaged an anchor how do they get down afterwards? It would take a pretty malicious mind to do this....

Offline M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 08:52:58 PM »
I think at least some of the spots have relatively  popular trails running over the tops. From the descriptions, I am inclined to think it may be kids with a knife screwing around and probably not realizing what they are messing with. The suggestion from Jeff's friend makes sense though to me if they do in fact get iced up.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 08:58:59 PM by M_Sprague »
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. John Kenneth Galbrait

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 09:40:10 PM »
Question/ if someone sabotaged an anchor how do they get down afterwards? It would take a pretty malicious mind to do this....

wrap a rope around the tree & rap!
Al Hospers

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 06:40:17 AM »
 which would mean they were climbers = disturbing....