Author Topic: eaglet area questions  (Read 522 times)

Offline wiggins

• NEClimbs Junior Member
eaglet area questions
« on: September 21, 2017, 05:45:26 pm »
hey all, anybody ever try to shoot up past the eaglet and down the other side of the ridge and connect to the skoomachuck or  maybe garfield ridge trail? wondering how bad the shwack would be i'd imagine pretty narly. Also was wondering if John Sykes is on neclimbs?

Offline smartpig

• NEClimbs God
  • There is only one kind of magic and this is ‘doing
    • Valhalla Publishing
Re: eaglet area questions
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 06:18:15 pm »
hey all, anybody ever try to shoot up past the eaglet and down the other side of the ridge and connect to the skoomachuck or  maybe garfield ridge trail? wondering how bad the shwack would be i'd imagine pretty narly. Also was wondering if John Sykes is on neclimbs?
I have gone over the Notch above the Eaglet several times, both on foot and skis. It is predominately open woods on the Lafayette side. I have smoked up the Shookumbrook trail to the North summit of Lafayette and skied down the brook, up to the Eaglet Notch and down to the Scoop and Poop parking lot at the Old Man viewing. I have walked and skied also out to where the brook meets the Huge Gallen Bridge (part of bike path now and by Echo Lake exit. There is/was an old bootleg hiking trail that goes along the entire length of Hounds Hump Ridge, starting from the top of the road cut where most people park their cars for climbing at Echo Crag, and then goes all the way to the top of Eagle Cliff. Then to get to the Greenleaf trail you need to do some rugged bushwhacking..  last I did this must be more than twenty years ago! It was getting hard to find then with some blow down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jamie Cunningham
Franconia, NH

Jamie Cunningham Photography: http://www.jamiecunninghamphoto.com

The Notches guidebook Facebook page ("like" it!):
https://www.facebook.com/groups/valhallapublishing/

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 09:45:27 pm »
Also was wondering if John Sykes is on neclimbs?

rarely... often on Facebook tho
Al Hospers

Offline wiggins

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 09:42:53 pm »
A few years ago at the end of a cannon day we ran into a couple of friends in the lot, one of which was coming off a shoulder injury. A car full of non climbing college guys pulled in with a keg of home brewed beer in the back and let us fill our nalgenes.  We were all talking bout our days on cannon tracing routes on the wall and my friend turned, pointing at eagle cliff, said they went up there... missed the base of the face wound up on top of it schwacked way back down and bailed after a couple of pitches of a scary as fudge waterman dike. The amount of scrapes on those legs lead me to believe that that's a path intended for pants, but man those two guys had perma grins. thanks for the info smartpig i sent you a pm also