Author Topic: Ice, alpine climbing pack  (Read 415 times)

Offline pcorridon

• NEClimbs Newbie
Ice, alpine climbing pack
« on: September 23, 2017, 09:17:07 AM »
I've owned a Cold Cold World Chernobyl for the better part of 20 years that is finally calling it a day. I'm looking for a replacement pack pretty much for winter day trips. Whilst the CCW pack was outstanding, I seek something with a little more back support, either a plastic sheet or AL stays. If Black Ice Podsacs were still available I would jump on the chance to buy one, but unfortunately they are long gone. I've drooled over Hyperlite ice packs but am hesitant because of the horrific cost as well as the durability, abrasion resistance of the dyneema (cuben fiber) material. Any thoughts, comments, first hand experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Offline pitonpat

• NEClimbs Junior Member
Re: Ice, alpine climbing pack
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 06:44:55 PM »
Take a look at the gear exchange tab in this forum. Art Mooney is selling an Osprey Mutant 38 for 50 bucks! That's a really capable pack for a wide range of climbing, and hiking uses, and at that price it's a steal... whichever version is being offered. I had one I foolishly let go of in favor of a Cilogear 40b but I can't say the Cilogear was an improvement (and it was far more expensive).

http://www.splitterchoss.com/2010/02/19/osprey-mutant-38-pack-review/

Older version: http://www.climbgb.com/ospreymutant38review.asp

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 10:07:50 AM »
I've put my Hyperlight 3400 Ice Pack through 2 seasons of very heavy use and it still looks new. They are bomber. I wrote a long review last winter linked below.

http://northeastalpinestart.com/2016/02/04/hyperlite-mountain-gear-3400-ice-pack-review/

Offline powdergibbs

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 12:46:29 PM »
I have one of the older model 2400 Ice Packs and it fits my needs for both climbing and ski mountaineering well. I was skeptical at first too, but it has become my daily winter pack. The simple lightweight design really does blow the full featured bags I was used to out of the water. You do have to be a bit more thoughtful when packing, but its only make my system more efficient. The Dynema packs are even more durable than mine, but mine has held up well to the abuse I have thrown at it. I would go with the dynema if I was in the market.

Tips: Definitely get the stuff sacks to organize gear. Also buy patches just in case. If you also ski don't bother with the additional ski attachment- they carry best vertically where the bungees are.

Offline vegetationcontainer

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 05:02:46 PM »
Thumbs up on the Hyperlight 3400