Author Topic: Sheath Slippage?  (Read 529 times)

Offline ralbert20

• NEClimbs Senior Member
Sheath Slippage?
« on: November 27, 2017, 04:58:27 pm »
Anyone here ever had a rope core come away from the sheath? I was rappelling yesterday and today, using a prusik, and my core just... went up inside the rope... Darndest thing! I have seen it do a little like that before, but this is almost 2 feet inside! It was a bit scary rapping down, and the end of the rope was effectively 2 feet shorter. I asked Backcountry about it, and they said it is defective, so sending a new one. I have only used it about 10 days or so this season. Thoughts, other than just defective? It is a Sterling Marathon 10.1, 70m bipattern.

Offline Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Re: Sheath Slippage?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 10:54:48 pm »
This used to be quite common (30+years ago), and is the reason for the "sheath slippage test" which is part of the UIAA certification tests, before a rope gains the UIAA ( and CEN) label. I can't remember the exact year that this test was added to label testing, but I do have notes from my work as the American delegate to the UIAA Safety Commission, and could probably find the date. It was certainly much discussed during the 1980s and I believe that the sheath slippage test (say that 10 times quickly) was added in the late 1980s or very early 1990s. I was the delegate from 1978 through 1999. Jeff Lea

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 08:13:54 am »
you might want to give Sterling a holler. I would think it's something they would want to look into...
Al Hospers

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 01:31:32 pm »
Props to Backcountry for replacing it. Most retailers would send you to the manufacturer, especially for climbing gear.

Offline ralbert20

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 11:21:11 am »
Jeff, this rope has all certs - as I said, it is a Sterling Marathon. I have *never* seen this before - in my 15+ years; many, many ropes, and using a prussik most of the time. Yes indeed props to Backcountry - those guys (and gals) are awesome. I am actually kind of glad I got it from them, and NOT directly from Sterling - which is how I usually get my ropes. Maybe Mammut only for the future? Since I much prefer 70m bipatterns, and Mammut and Sterling are really the only options.

Offline Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 12:23:56 pm »
ralbert20: The fact that it is a Sterling Marathon rope, and all of theirs have all CEN and UIAA certs, makes me agree with Al H. that you should also share this info with Sterling. I agree that props are due to Backcountry for replacing the rope, but I would like to believe, given my personal experience with Sterling ( I signed and issued their first UIAA rope labels in the 1980s and have used their ropes for years), that they too would have replaced it and probably would have wanted it back to examine and test. From my experience, this was likely an anomaly -- if not, they would even more want to address it. The way you phrased your original question also suggests to me that this was a "one off" experience for you. If you still have it, I would encourage you to share it and your experience with Sterling as it would be useful to all of us if they could examine it.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with Sterling, other than as a satisfied end user of their products. I currently own and use 60m bicolor dry ropes by Bluewater (9.7 or 9.8mm)  Sterling (9.4mm), a dry mono-color Edelrid ( 9.7mm?), a 60m 9.7mm dry Petzl rope, also mono-color and a pair of 60m dry Sterling 8.8mm half ropes, all of various wear and age status. The Petzl has been retired this year except for top-roping.

Offline ralbert20

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 08:00:08 am »
Jeff - thanks for the insight!

I am sending the rope back to Backcountry, and they are sending to Sterling/ doing the follow up. I had a nice conversation with them and relayed the pertinent info. I certainly hope this was a one off, but I don't think I'll be simul-rapping on the new cord.

Offline IOMeara

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 09:35:31 pm »
Interesting, I have a sterling rope too (forget the model name) 9.8 mm... I had s out a foot of sheath slippage on each end. I thought it was partly because of a lot of simul-rapping, and partly because I was using a rappel device that was super high friction... I cut off the extra sheath and got a new ATC and hasn't been an issue recently...

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 10:19:40 am »
Interesting, I have a sterling rope too (forget the model name) 9.8 mm... I had s out a foot of sheath slippage on each end. I thought it was partly because of a lot of simul-rapping, and partly because I was using a rappel device that was super high friction... I cut off the extra sheath and got a new ATC and hasn't been an issue recently...

that's good to know. you should let Sterling know about it too
Al Hospers