Author Topic: Using two different tools  (Read 136 times)

Offline monkeyguyy

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Using two different tools
« on: October 20, 2004, 09:37:44 AM »
First, thanks for all the responses to "ice tool suggestions", they were very helpful.  My next question is about using two different model ice tools together.  What do you feel are some of the advantages and disadvantages?  It seems to me that it should work fine and maybe even add a little extra versitality.  Any thoughts?

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
Re: Using two different tools
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 11:42:10 AM »
This was standard procedure in the old days. I do like the viper set up and feel no need to switch up on the tools other than haveing an adze on one tool. I am often tempted to get a hammer  to replace the adze so that both tolls would have exact same ballance.

Offline Schandy

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 12:35:05 PM »
Using two different tools should be ok, provided they are both good tools.  One of my climbing partners still climbs with one hummingbird and one old school chouinard.  It's fun to watch him clear bulges.  He's upgrading to the new curved modern stuff after 20 years.  I don't know if there would be any advantages to having two different tools.  It isn't as sexy, and we all know how image conscious ice climbers are, especialy here in new england.   ;)
    Trad- I took my adze off after I realized that I NEVER used it.  You'd be suprised what you can do with a hammer.  I was too cheap to buy another hammer, so I just left the back of the tool empty like the trango ones.  Works great, swings even better.  I think its worth trying out.

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 01:02:09 PM »
A combination of the pick and hammer are usualy fine for hacking out a screw placement. I find that i do sometimes use the adze for scrapeing away snow. For some reason (most likely in my head) the hammer seems to swing better than the adze ::)