Author Topic: Tuckerman, Saturday 9-Dec.  (Read 452 times)

Offline ralbert20

• NEClimbs Senior Member
Tuckerman, Saturday 9-Dec.
« on: December 11, 2017, 09:22:07 am »
Was absolutely stunning! It was my first time ice climbing in Tuckerman, (I know... I know...) and I had no idea how much ice there is up there! We only did 3 of the pitches we saw, but we could have done at least half a dozen more. They are steeper and longer than they look as well. We did a sweet little line in a bowl, then did a corner system, and then a grade 4 pillar. Off to the left, we could see another grade 4, or possibly grade 5, and some other curtains. There was also a nice slab way left that looked like grade 3, and possibly 2 pitches.

I can't believe it took me so long to get in there for ice. We typically just go to Pinnacle, but Tuckerman is great for early season ice. We were also completely alone on the climbs. There were some die-hard skiers who skied a few short turns, but no one else was climbing. I wonder how much the snow will affect the climbs - maybe they filled in now.

-Rob

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: Tuckerman, Saturday 9-Dec.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 04:50:23 pm »
amazingly once it starts snowing regularly it completely fills in. getting close top that now. that said it's great in the early season.
Al Hospers