NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sharpening ice screw  (Read 235 times)

Paulthenurse

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I used to love YaBB 1G SP1, but she dumped me!
Sharpening ice screw
« on: October 21, 2004, 04:04:08 AM »

Can anyone provide a quick tutorial of the best way to sharpen screws?  Or the name/number of someone who will do it?
PTN
Scuba, sailing, sex, supper, suds, sleeping, skiing.  How come all the really good things in life start with S?

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
Re: Sharpening ice screw
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 07:44:34 AM »

I use a small flat file. i have heard of folks doing it with a dremel but you must be carefull not to heat up the screw. I have never been able to fully replicate the factory  sharpness.

Schandy

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 08:06:39 AM »

Sharpening screws is hard.  The dremel tool should work well if you are really carefull to keep the screw from losing it's temper.  Plenty of water and short cutting strokes.  There was an online tutorial on neice.com, but that site is down right now.  Grivel has an automatic ice screw sharpener.  I think its new and hasn't made it to the states yet.  I don't know if it does other brands, but it should be the best thing yet for grivel screws.  Not something you would invest in yourself, but it might be good for a local shop to get one and charge $10 a screw.  Definately worth the money.  I've also heard of people taking their screws to a tool sharpening place around rumney.  If you go to a sharpening place and explain how you want them sharpened you might get good results.  Best bet is to not bottom them out in the first place.

dogboy

• NEClimbs Moderator
  • NEClimbs God
  • What?
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 01:35:36 PM »

Actually, I find that, with a little practice, sharpening screws with a dremel is pretty easy.  And the heat thing isn't that big of a deal.  If you have a dremel with variable speed and you're careful, you can keep the metal pretty cool...I almost never use water.  The fiber wheel on a dremel is not like putting the screw up against a bench grinder.  And, you can get metal almost as hot with a file...touch the end of your pick when you're filing it some time.  It is absolutely imperative that you have a nice vice, though...trying to hold the screw steady with one hand and sharpen with the other is not only futile, but also dangerous.
Everybody wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die.

DLottmann

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 07:08:43 PM »

I had 4 screws sharpened beginning of last season by the Rumney Traffic Circle Machinist for 3-4 bucks a screw... they were like brand-new again.  If he hasn't retired (he said he might) I will visit him again this year...

Edge

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 07:17:12 AM »

This topic comes up every year.  Here is my advice from last time around.

http://www.neclimbs.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=ice;action=display;num=1067295425;start=2
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 23 queries.