Author Topic: Large groups part 2  (Read 1331 times)

Offline ClimbHumble

• NEClimbs Newbie
Large groups part 2
« on: January 17, 2018, 09:20:24 pm »
A college group of 12 is scheduled for an outing on feb 3rd at cathedral ledge.i just now realize that this is ice fest. We only need two climbs side by side and won’t take up a ton of space. How much of a shot in the dark is this going to be? I know a lot of guide companies have a lot of clients and a stake in making money that weekend.

Offline Homeless Junkie

• NEClimbs Newbie
Re: Large groups part 2
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 09:04:55 am »
 The MWV Ice Fest doesn’t always use the North End. I assume that’s where you’re planning? I think if you get to the pillars early you should be fine.

I taught my nephew the basics at the North End the Saturday of last year’s Ice Fest. We started early at the pillars, did a couple laps on the slab and did Threshers. By the time we were done at the pillars there were people filling in, no one was on the slab. Threshers was popular though.
I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught.. Either way I'm set for life!

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 04:35:26 pm »
this is a terrible time to be bringing a large group to the Valley to climb. there will be folks EVERYWHERE and the North End will be no exception. and I'm not even talking about the IMCS Ice Fest folks. there are a dozen OTHER guide services using that area. FWIW Junkie was only talking about one person. that would be no problem, but a large group? I don't know man... consider the Barking Dog or some place like that. at least it's more off the beaten path.
Al Hospers

Offline wiggins

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 07:55:39 pm »
rolled into franks this morning little after 7 for a quickie to my surprise there was already big group at the lower lot, i asked if this was a meetup b4 before quickly departing and somebody said college group. not sure what they where doing or where they where going but they had axes lol, could of been a mountaineering class, i dunno? there where more than a dozen kids a half dozen adults prob 6 or 7 E250 vans. 

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 08:04:01 pm »
I was there at 10 and saw those vehicles. no idea where they were tho. possibly Lost In The Forest

rolled into franks this morning little after 7 for a quickie to my surprise there was already big group at the lower lot, i asked if this was a meetup b4 before quickly departing and somebody said college group. not sure what they where doing or where they where going but they had axes lol, could of been a mountaineering class, i dunno? there where more than a dozen kids a half dozen adults prob 6 or 7 E250 vans. 
Al Hospers

Offline ClimbHumble

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 09:04:27 pm »
Thanks everyone - Al, barking dog is just a little further down west side road right? I know it’s hard to imagine but at north end we’d only be using 2 climbs. We’d also be neat and orderly and out of everyone’s way. I’m not sure how else to swing it and it’s just unfortunate that we didn’t check the ice fest date...

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 09:41:43 pm »
Al, barking dog is just a little further down west side road right?

yes, about 500 yards past Black Pudding and past the Pitman Arch. kind of up and behind the last house in that cluster.
Al Hospers

Offline JBro

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 10:01:17 pm »
Thanks everyone - Al, barking dog is just a little further down west side road right? I know it’s hard to imagine but at north end we’d only be using 2 climbs. We’d also be neat and orderly and out of everyone’s way. I’m not sure how else to swing it and it’s just unfortunate that we didn’t check the ice fest date...

Just get there early. Ice fest guides have no more right to hog the crags than your own group.
Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 10:33:09 am »
Just get there early. Ice fest guides have no more right to hog the crags than your own group.

of course that is absolutely true. and I might say that in my personal experience guides have always been very accommodating.
Al Hospers

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 09:25:48 pm »
Texaco is another good option for groups during this high traffic times... just throwing that option out there.

Offline markvnh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 07:41:28 am »
Not sure where your coming from.

There’s Bolton VT quarries. Drive right to it and walk 100 yards. Holts Ledge, Lyme NH. Park at Dartmouth Skiway and maybe a 20 minute hike. Not sure if Kinsman sees any Ice Fest action.

I guess for your sake I’m looking at any alternatives away from N Conway!

Offline frik

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 08:33:25 am »
Rainbow slabs off the Kank... i would think you could have for yourselves

Offline David_G48

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 08:41:31 am »
There will be quite a few large groups up in the North Conway area during this time period. Most of them with guides. Guides have no right to hog climbing routes nor do private parties. That said one must remember that the Ice Fest hype gives guides the opportunity to be employed in an industry with lots of up and downs. They are not a particular wealthy group but do provide a valuable service that I believe the climbing community benefits. So the question becomes how much of an inconvenience would it be to change your dates or location in order that a fellow human being can be employed. If you can change your dates or location with little cost your group you should do so.
I am not a guide nor do I have any desire to become a guide, thus I have no vested interest in the formulation of my opinion. I just feel it is a good thing to allow people the best opportunity to be employed.

Offline Ducayet

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 03:45:37 pm »
in order that a fellow human being can be employed.

A little dramatic eh?

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 09:54:30 pm »
in order that a fellow human being can be employed.

A little dramatic eh?

maybe, but the point is well taken I would think?
Al Hospers