Author Topic: Large groups part 2  (Read 1117 times)

Offline CD

• NEClimbs Junior Member
Re: Large groups part 2
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 11:08:39 pm »
Absolutely dramatic. Employment will happen regardless of terrain availability
keep it weird.

Offline JBro

• NEClimbs God
  • Doing God's work
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 11:24:27 am »
Dewd I hate when I'm just trying to be employed and someone bogeys my climb.

Have a quiche, now, or maybe a tort.  You deserve it!
-bristolpipe

I like to keep things simple, even if it's faaaken painful and miserable.
-Stoney Middleton

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.
-Friar Tuck

Offline pappy

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 12:49:00 pm »
in order that a fellow human being can be employed.

A little dramatic eh?

maybe, but the point is well taken I would think?

No. The guides at these things are trying to be good business people and grow their customer base, but there are too many f**king ice climbers already, so I have zero sympathy. Ice is, unlike rock, severely limited in the fourth dimension and by fickle conditions and limited opportunity--we don't need gym dilitantes tying up routes and chopping the crap out of them with endless TR laps (TRing ice, especially moderate ice, is pretty pointless anyway). I don't have much use for all of these stupid 'fests' for the same reason.  Are we really so insecure that we need the validation of lots of other people getting in to it? It's cold, uncomfortable, and really, really dangerous.  You'll probably all die. Nothing to see here, move along.
If you're gonna be stupid, you gotta be tough.

Offline ClimbHumble

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2018, 06:33:34 pm »
I mean, this is a college outing club. Itís for the experience and probably wonít create any life long ice climbers to hog the routes. I think my name says it all. Climb humble, be humble. Nothing that any of us do when climbing means anything. Thereís noting ground breaking about leading routes that have already been done thousands of times, and if people choose to top rope for 30 years, why would I care as long as they are enjoying themselves, and having safe experiences that mean something to them personally. I guess Iím just an outlier in this community in the way that I will never understand why ego drives so much disdain and competitive behavior towards each other instead of kindness, stoke, and humility that the mountain experiences are really supposed to be teaching us.

Iím hopeful that the rest of the community will be more welcoming and kind to folks climbing and that itís not just a fake friendliness that only comes out when business or monetary transactions are expected.

I posted here because I already knew things were territorial and competitive and honestly intimidating, and I wanted to be courteous and let people know about the group size. My opinion is more solidified about the unfriendliness and ego driven people of New England climbing following this post. Sad.

Offline Homeless Junkie

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2018, 09:14:36 am »
Donít sweat it humble, and donít feed the troll.

Iíve met some of most laid back and friendly but also the biggest dic& climbers and guides at the North End. Get there early, donít hog half of the pillars the whole day. Share your ropes. Even I think this is BS but.. if you setup a toprope on the NE Slab leave some space for parties who wanna lead it.

Thereís so much ice lately I bet the North End will be fairly empty just like last year.
I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught.. Either way I'm set for life!

Offline ClimbHumble

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2018, 05:12:43 pm »
Thank you - noted about the troll.

Offline pappy

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2018, 10:46:23 pm »
Actually, my post was not aimed at you humble. I was responding to Alís post. it specifically mentions guides and ice fests, it doesnít mention college groups or other peer to peer mentoring at all. Nor was it a troll, it was an honest expression of frustration that there are an increasing number of climbers for a limited resource, so I donít have sympathy for commercial enterprises whose specific purpose is to increase that number. Sorry if you took it that way, but I suggest that is a hyper sensitive reaction.

Offline Jeremy Cote

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2018, 11:46:19 am »

A little dramatic eh?

No. The guides at these things are trying to be good business people and grow their customer base, but there are too many f**king ice climbers already, so I have zero sympathy. Ice is, unlike rock, severely limited in the fourth dimension and by fickle conditions and limited opportunity--we don't need gym dilitantes tying up routes and chopping the crap out of them with endless TR laps (TRing ice, especially moderate ice, is pretty pointless anyway). I don't have much use for all of these stupid 'fests' for the same reason.  Are we really so insecure that we need the validation of lots of other people getting in to it? It's cold, uncomfortable, and really, really dangerous.  You'll probably all die. Nothing to see here, move along.

If that is your concern then perhaps take your climbing to some of the more remote/hidden/inconvenient ice venues. There is so much ice in NH it is ridiculous. I have never had a problem finding solitude in the mountains of NH, ever. Most people that bitch about people using the resource are too lazy to explore and find places where they can get away from the crowds. Maybe that is not you, but the hair across your ass says differently. That said, I tend to have the same perspective when it comes to fishing spots. I just am selfish in that respect and want them all to myself.

Offline pappy

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2018, 03:57:43 pm »

A little dramatic eh?

If that is your concern then perhaps take your climbing to some of the more remote/hidden/inconvenient ice venues.

No s**t, I never thought of that. Actually, not knowing you I can't say for sure, but, it's possible I might even have done a little bit more of that than you. Unfortunately, there are still a few bucket list climbs I would like to knock off. I've just come to accept that it can only happen on a weekday, which is difficult when you like, have a real job. Example: last year (or the year before--senility), I heard through the grapevine that Fafnir was in good, one of those I've somehow missed. Arranged to go over on a Wed., but partner conflict, rescheduled for Fri. Still a weekday, but a little nervous. Made the 3.5 hour drive, got there a little after 6:00, four parties ahead of us. Little did I know that a certain ice report had broadcast the night before that Fafnir was in fat. Fine, I say, at least a couple of these parties have to be going for the Dike. But nooo...as we're slogging up the talus we see the lead party is taking forever on P2, the others queued up at the top of P1 waiting. (at least a couple of these are, ahem, guided). Screw this, we leave, and pass two more parties heading up to do...Fafnir.
I wouldn't even consider going to Frankenstein on a weekend, ever. Might as well go to the Gunks.
I've got a cottage in Keene, five minutes from Pitchoff East. I have zero interest in Pitchoff East, it's a f**king zoo, but I might like to do some of the stuff in Chapel Pond Canyon some day, just because, but forget it, f**king zoo. Fortunately, I've already done most of the stuff around the Pond itself because, you guessed it, it's a FZ. You want to see something worse than the queue for High Exposure, check out Multiplication Gully (a vastly over rated climb). So yeah, I go to hoffman and underwood and places not in any guide.

Too many ice climbers. Fine, that's going to happen just through natural population growth and prosperity. I actually have no issue with the OP, I have an issue with the commercial effort to increase the number, and a real issue that that should somehow take priority over what he wants to do. An analogy: the high peaks over here in the Daks are getting loved to death, driven by social media suddenly everybody wants to be a 46er. Some holiday weekends thousands of hikers will hit some summits. If the North Face and Vasque and the local guides banded together to put on a 'Hike the High Peaks Fest' the locals would quite rightly tar and feather them, if the DEC didn't just shut the thing down altogether. Ice climbing also unfortunately is no longer a fringe sport, but ice is a uniquely limited resource.