Author Topic: Getting Around - A Heads Up  (Read 632 times)

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Getting Around - A Heads Up
« on: January 19, 2018, 10:57:23 AM »
I meant to put this in this week's report, but forgot. (And besides it was already too long.) So this is just a heads up...

As we were hiking up to the base of Hobbit yesterday the trails started out just fine. However the steeper that it got, it became evident that there was a serious layer of blue ice underneath the fluffy snow from overnight. I rarely put on crampons to hike up to the base of climbs, but by about halfway up the trail I began to wish I had. My partner traversed out into the woods to the right a little it where the snow was crusty enough that he was able to get some solid kick-steps in and that feely pretty good - UNTIL we were about 60' from the base. At this point everywhere we went the ground was frozen solid and there were occasional patches of ice and rocks. Needless to say I didn't have my helmet on, and getting the crampons out was a non-starter on the 80 degree slope. Obviously we didn't have a problem, however a slip would have sent us rocketing down the hill like a ball in a bowling alley - bouncing off trees as we went! Definitely NOT a good option.

So I'm just saying that putting on those crampons and probably helmets earlier than usual would probably be a good idea now. As always, this is simply my 2 centavos folks. Of course YMMV.
Al Hospers