Author Topic: What size SDS is best for drilling granite?  (Read 259 times)

Offline Banch

• NEClimbs Newbie
What size SDS is best for drilling granite?
« on: May 16, 2018, 08:57:53 am »
Hello.  I'm shopping for a rotary hammer drill.  Leaning toward the 36v Boshe Bulldog.  I noticed that it comes in different sizes SDS.  A lightweight model has a 3/4" SDS but others have 1" and up to 1 1/8 and 1 1/2 inch SDS.  I'll be drilling in granite, if that matters.  Also, what is the difference between SDS and SDS Plus?  thanks
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 04:49:55 pm by Banch »

Offline Banch

• NEClimbs Newbie
Re: What size SDS is best for drilling granite?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 04:39:41 pm »
hey y'all just wanted to update.  I ended up buying a Boshe Bulldog 36V 1 1/8" SDS Plus.   It seems that the SDS 3/4" is a lighter tool but the 1 1/8" is more standard/common and thus getting bits will be easier and cheaper.  I think my local gear shop, Outdoor Gear Exchange, sells bits that are for SDS 1 1/8" so it makes sense to go with that size. 

Just out of curiosity, are there other reasons for climbers to go with something other than 1 1/8"  SDS size when considering buying a drill?

Maybe if your going to also use the drill for other projects outside of rock climbing?  I was also thinking about re-sale of the drill once I grid bolt my local cliff.  (just kidding)  But re-sale is a consideration.  along with the ease of getting cheaper bits seems like 1 1/8" is the way to go.  Thoughts?  thanks. Banch.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: What size SDS is best for drilling granite?
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 08:03:48 am »
Bulldog is what everyone I know has. seems to do the job.
Al Hospers