Author Topic: Elephant Head Gully May Be No More  (Read 598 times)

Offline White_Mountain_Rambler

• NEClimbs Newbie
Elephant Head Gully May Be No More
« on: May 24, 2018, 05:29:50 pm »
Whomever climbed the gully last this past ice season may hold the unfortunate honor of having logged the last ascent. The rock scaling activities on top of Crawford Notch are currently focusing on the gully area.

Offline rbirk

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: Elephant Head Gully May Be No More
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 08:31:22 am »

Offline markvnh

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 08:49:10 am »
...I’m gonna be optimistic here and just hope the climb gets even better! We’ll know next ice season! First ascent potential...

Offline z.st.jules

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 04:30:58 pm »
Interesting. Yeah maybe something new will form like at rumney when they did that blasting.

Offline Smear

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 05:33:53 pm »
I just drove by there and it looks like they will be removing quite a bit of the rock on that side.

Offline rpdoucette

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 08:44:19 pm »
Can someone define "rock scaling" for me. They've taken down trees and plucked rocks from that whole side of The road.  It's ok now but maybe they are prepping for blasting?
Not sure when the clifftop anchors were installed at Elephant Head, but it is an improvement.

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 09:26:58 pm »
I drove by twice on Sunday and posted some video on my IG... wish I had more time to stop for some better pics but from what I could see I don't think EHG will be much altered except maybe being even "cleaner" if that is possible.. no tree on on the left and right variations anymore... the whole place has been scraped of any vegetation. This will make that cool little hidden stout gully to the right of EHG much more visible. I'm really curious about how this area will look come late December... I wouldn't be too nervous about it at this point... might actually make for some great climbing...

Offline klamhattenamin

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 04:45:32 pm »
I was up there Saturday, 6/16/18, an it looked like that they put a fence across the gully, not sure if it's permanent..
Christopher