Author Topic: Cliff overlooking Glen  (Read 459 times)

Offline BrianRI

• NEClimbs Newbie
Cliff overlooking Glen
« on: July 29, 2018, 04:42:39 pm »
Does anyone know anything about the cliff that is visible to from the intersection of RT 16 and 302 in Glen?  It is on the south side of 302 and east side of 16.  It appears to be on private land.  Anyone ever climb here?  Access issues?
Thanks.

Offline Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Re: Cliff overlooking Glen
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 05:17:15 pm »
If you mean up behind the Sunrise Shack, (previously Stanley's for decades) it's called Stanley's cliff or crag and Michael Hartrick and Albert Dow climbed on it in the 70s (surprise: LOL). Brad White at IME probably has some info-- it's above the Green Meadow Camping Area off Rte 16. There won't be much fixed gear--LOL -- I have no info on Access-- for years I've considered talking to the campground folks about approaching it, but there is too much good rock around for me to have been lured up there yet.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 05:20:49 pm by Jeff »

Offline BrianRI

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 07:24:24 pm »
Thanks.  That's the place.  I figured it was previously climbed just don't know current situation. 

Offline NEAlpineStart

• NEClimbs God
    • Northeast Alpine Start
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 08:07:39 pm »
I hiked in there once 10+ years ago... found some interesting looking rock and an abandoned fixed line... there is a bit of a old logging road or trail just north of Sunrise Shack... hard to see from road...

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 08:43:58 pm »
I heard a while back that Jon Sykes was working on something at Stanley's. The problem is that the rock quality is really pretty bad, almost like shale.
Al Hospers