Author Topic: Trains on the Tracks  (Read 708 times)

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Trains on the Tracks
« on: November 23, 2018, 09:46:23 AM »
So apparently the Scenic RR is now going to be running at least somewhat this winter all the way up into the Notch! A few days ago it was spotted going across the Frankenstein Trestle!!! There is a short video of it on our Facebook page taken by Frank Carus.

You would certainly not want to be belaying across the tracks in the trestle mixed area or leaving packs on the tracks by Standard Route! And when crossing the trestle, keep your ears open.
Al Hospers

Offline snowleopard

• NEClimbs Junior Member
Re: Trains on the Tracks
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 11:48:59 AM »
Just like it used to be!
lol

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 03:13:04 PM »
So I went to Frankenstein Friday morning and did a couple of laps on the Trestle Slab. Apparently the video of the train on the trestle must have been before the last snowstorm, because there is no indication of the train being there this week. Unless they are going to plow the tracks, which is VERY doubtful, I would say that this is nothing to worry about.
Al Hospers

Offline ELM

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 07:38:13 AM »
Based on their online schedule, you are right: the notch train has stopped for the season.
Ed Matt
" I release my attention: because of you now I am in danger!!! " -Champ
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 04:42:12 PM »
YES the Conway Scenic Railroad train IS running folks. It was seen at Frankenstein on Wednesday Nov 28th! Be careful when belaying by the tracks and DO NOT leave anything on the tracks.  Yes, I know I said it wasn't running, however apparently I was WRONG folks. I got the word from my friend Paul McCoy that it ran past Frankenstein yesterday, Wednesday. I realize that the online schedule doesn't show it, but that's what they are doing. Just because it hasn't come by, doesn't mean it won't. DO NOT leave your gear or pack on or near the tracks. I feel fairly confident that they will NOT stop and move it for you! If you are going to climb on the Trestle Mixed or Slab climbs, keep your eyes and ears open. When you are walking across the trestle, do not dawdle and be prepared to hustle. We do NOT want to start a confrontation with the Scenic Railroad. This is THEIR right of way and we use it basically on sufferance. We do NOT want to loose access. And of course  we don't want anyone getting hurt.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 04:48:36 PM by Admin Al »
Al Hospers

Offline rbirk

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 09:46:27 AM »
Asked the Conway Scenic Railroad about their schedule and got this respond: "Passenger service through the Notch ended on October 28th, but we do have work trains operating there currently."

Offline White_Mountain_Rambler

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 12:18:09 PM »
I also reached out to the Conway Scenic Railroad and to further elaborate I was told that they are clearing the tracks because they have a car up in the Notch that will be coming down in a couple of weeks so they need to keep things clear.