Author Topic: The flume, Franconia Notch  (Read 355 times)

Offline PG

• NEClimbs Junior Member
The flume, Franconia Notch
« on: January 01, 2019, 01:25:12 PM »
On Sunday I went for a walk down to the Flume to check on the State of the ice. From the parking area heading into the visitor center on the left is the usual entrance. I noticed some changes there. A small building was put up, the post & rail fence had the horizontal rails removed. As you continue down the usual path across a small stream, they installed a small foot bridge. At first my thought was gee this is kinda of nice not having to negotiate across the stream. Giving it more thought it's looking like they set this up to charge people an entrance fee to go in there in the winter. I haven't heard anything that would support this however 2 or 3 years ago I was going there to climb and I noticed a person there in the parking lot writing down license plate numbers. I asked the person what was up and he replied that some of the politicians down in Concord were thinking of charging to go in there in the winter. I may be way off so I'm wondering if anyone knows what's going on. I wouldn't put it past them after all the Cog is charging to park there in the winter. State of the ice, floor is out and will will probably be out for some time until we get some deep, sub zero temps. Lot's of water flowing through there. The walls are forming and are climbable from the top.

PG

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: The flume, Franconia Notch
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 05:43:37 PM »
thanks for the heads up... I wouldn't have figured the floor would be frozen yet. no idea 'bout the charging biz. someone taking down license plate numbers is a drag tho.
Al Hospers