Author Topic: FROM CHRIS MARTIN OF NH AUDUBON:  (Read 334 times)

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
FROM CHRIS MARTIN OF NH AUDUBON:
« on: May 03, 2019, 12:36:13 PM »
On (4/22/2019 I visually confirmed (see 1st photo) that the peregrines are incubating eggs on the upper half of Rumney’s Main Cliff, on a wide dusty ledge created by the 2010 rockfall and above the ledge with the live birch tree sapling (see 2nd photo), and located considerably to the left of ‘Rock Du Jours.’  This is first time in 6 years they have not used the Summit Cliff area, and will require 100% climber cooperation if they are to be successful this breeding season.

Regarding this year’s seasonal closure, I want to try an unusual approach.  I have posted signs at the bottom of the Main Cliff that read:  FALCON NEST ON MAIN CLIFF.  1st pitches OPEN.  DO NOT CLIMB TOP ˝ OF CLIFF.  In other words, only the top half of the Main Cliff is closed.

This morning with 2 parties climbing routes on the lower half of the cliff, the peregrines completed a prey transfer and incubation exchange without protest and seemed to ignore the climbers.

Previously posted areas near Summit Cliff, which were posted on 4/13/2019 in anticipation of incubation there, will be re-opened later this week.

Contact me with questions.  Please share the Main Cliff update with your contacts.  Thanks to Lee Hansche for passing along a report of peregrine dive-bombing climber high up on cliff late last week.

- Chris

Chris Martin
Senior Biologist, NH Audubon
cmartin@nhaudubon.org

84 Silk Farm Road, Concord, NH  03301
603/224-9909, x317 (office)
603/226-0902 (fax)

www.nhaudubon.org

New Hampshire Audubon – Protecting New Hampshire’s natural environment for wildlife and for people.
Al Hospers