NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guide Book  (Read 92 times)

cklein

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Guide Book
« on: November 12, 2004, 05:42:59 AM »

Heading to J-Tree in December.  Any recommendations for which Guide book or books to pick up?

MT

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Guide Book
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 08:23:51 AM »

Vogel's guidebook is encyclopedic and weighs about as much as one. I borrowed a copy of the old edition last time I tripped out there 3 years ago. It's got good pics and route descriptions.  I think there's a new version out.

Bartlett's guidebooks are OK if you're going to be in one specific area. However, their topos aren't so good.

I would recommend getting a "Select" guidebook if you can find one. There are too many climbs out there spread over to much space to do in one trip. It would help you narrow down your search.

WARNING: There are some serious discrepancies between ratings in the two guidebooks. I would say that Vogel tends to sandbag climbs near the lower end (5.10 and under); whereas, Bartlett's ratings tend to be truer to the grade at the lower end.

Climbs that stick in my mind that I HIGHLY RECOMMEND at the lower end of the scale: Mental Physics 5.6/7, North Overhang (5.9) & Overhang Bypass (5.7; Intersection Rock), Elusive Butterfly (5.7), White Lightening (5.7; Hemingway Buttress), Sail Away (5.8); Fote Hog (5.6/7). There are tons more. Make sure your crack skills are honed.

MT

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 08:26:07 AM »

One more thing....plan ahead on the sun exposure of your routes. If you're in the shade in Dec, you'll freeze your arse off. Other possibily sunny routes: Double dip (5.6) and Sticher Quits (5.7).

Enjoy!

the_other_andy

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 03:12:39 PM »

If your going for a short trip get Vogels classic (crowded) rtes. If you are going longer or intend doing multi trips get the main Vogel (help get away from crowds) guide.
It will be cold so you might want more choices for the sunny rtes.
Take plenty of tape.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.