Author Topic: Huntington Ravine  (Read 326 times)

Offline Moodus

• NEClimbs Newbie
Huntington Ravine
« on: November 22, 2004, 07:06:45 am »
 Went into the Ravine yesterday only to be disapointed by the weather/conditions. Yeah, it rained! Ice in Odells was coming along, Pinnacle (as reported pretty thin), Yale ice slabs looked like a steaming plate of shit! Warm temps and rain have had an effect. No dobt cold temps will readhere what doesn't fall off but....

Offline CLemay

• NEClimbs Full Member
Re: Huntington Ravine
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 05:37:52 pm »
I agree with Moodus, everything looked in bad shape right now. My friend Bryan and I climbed Central instead of Pinnacle because there was a pretty slow party on in plus I saw a couple of good size rocks tumble down :o Don't know if they fell on their own or were knocked down but I wasn't in the mood for a very big headache!! Central isn't fairing too well, the ice is detached in spots, has water running underneath it or there is just open areas of running water. The hike down Lion's Head was a slog as well. Hopefully we get some cold soon.

Chris

Offline jst

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 05:51:17 am »
Thanks for the report.
rustyrat mentioned there being fixed pins and biners for rapping set up in central gully. Did you notice them still being there? Did you happen to see how Diagnol is looking?
I,m debating whether or not to haul the rope up as it would be a lot faster to rap back down central if possible.

Thanks

Offline dogboy

• NEClimbs God
  • What?
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 06:25:12 am »
When I was up there 10 or so days ago the rap stations were still there.  One is on the left about half way up after the ice bulge...kind of hard to see up on the left hand wall.  Another is at the top, easy to see right in front of you (two bongs).  I didn't do it, but I think if you wanted to rap the whole thing you'd have to put a thread in at the ice bulge for the final rap...

P.S. I put a knifeblade in at the bottom for a belay anchor...just didn't want to pull my belayer down into the fan if I went for the long slide.  My belayer forgot to take it, so it's probably still there...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 06:26:45 am by jeffc »
Everybody wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die.

Offline CLemay

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 05:18:54 am »
We cleaned the pins and slings but the rope was gone.