Author Topic: Gloucester  (Read 567 times)

Offline Justus

• NEClimbs Junior Member
Gloucester
« on: January 30, 2005, 05:14:51 pm »
I don't know if this is new but its not in the most recent guide so i would love people to educate me if it has been done. Anyway:

Down here in Gloucester there's this quarry by Wingaersheek beach called the mod gripping quarry. There's some aid and sketchy mixed gear climbs in the summer but come winter there is an amazing freehanging pillar with what could become a mixed finish. I didn't climb that. (If only).

I did climb the right-hand corner of the quarry next to the giant icicle. You start below the pillar and climb up to a small ledge on the right. Then head straight up, surmount a big bulge (for me) and then another smaller one passing a tree on your right and then head up a short snow gully to the top. Thick ice with lots of natural hooking options. Felt like 3+ or 4 but i admit to having very limited ice experience so who knows. I'd be interested to know if anyone's climbed it or will climb it and tell me what they think of my description (constructively hopefully).

Thanks,

Justus

Offline GRH

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Gloucester
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 05:47:50 am »
Hey Justus, I live in Gloucester.  I am a newbie (really), but I would love to check it out.  Its only 5 minutes from my house.  You never know!  Do you know if there is any ice on Red Rocks (Hardy Mt.) or any of the other quarries?

Offline Dave

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Gloucester
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 06:50:38 am »
Those have been done many times. There are many places to ice climb around the Boston area that are not in the Boston Rocks book. Most are not reported or talked about much because of access issues. (They are on pvt. property) If you are interested send me a pm and I could maybe show you a few. Dave ;D