Author Topic: Accident at Lake Willoughby Jan 16  (Read 251 times)

Offline rpdoucette

• NEClimbs Full Member
Accident at Lake Willoughby Jan 16
« on: January 18, 2005, 08:39:29 am »
Dennis Maher of Hopkinton MA took a long leader fall from the left side of the Left Tablet at Lake W.  He was 100+ feet up and the ice was shitty.  The cliff runs north/south so the left side of some areas appeared to be more affected by the sun than the right (shadier) sides.  There was some dinner plating.  One tool pulled, as he fell the other tool w/glove remained in place.  One screw pulled immediately, the next screw held briefly and pulled also.  I did not see the fall, but spoke to those who did.  I heard it from a few hundred feet away and it was very gruesome.  Very loud and ugly.  

Numerous climbers rapped down and 9 of us took turns carrying him out.  He was conscious and in a lot of pain.  18 broken bones - lumbar vert., pelvis, sacrum, ribs, collapsed lung.  all will heal just fine, no nerve damage.  he has nine lives and has now used up two or more.  he is at dartmouth-hitchcock med. ctr in lebanon NH (603-650-5000).  thanks to the unnamed guys who got him down the treacherous slope to the road, particularly the guy who took charge and appeared to have medical experience.  there was too much going on...and i have forgotten his name.  be safe.