Author Topic: Lost Horizon Cliff  (Read 207 times)

Offline Climah

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Lost Horizon Cliff
« on: November 12, 2002, 06:39:52 PM »
Anyone know if it's possible that the trail markers for Lost Horizon Cliff have been changed or removed recently. I tried unsuccesfully to find it this weekend. I used the directions I got from here and they were confirmed by a couple of the local guides before we started out. We never came across marker #18 or the "Cairn" marking the approach path. Ultimately we ended up doing the whole Boulder Loop trail which leads me to believe that at some point I was standing on top of the cliff (I did locate 2 bolts at the top). From where I was there were 3 distinct cliffs within eye site.

Was it under my nose? Beleive me, it could have had blinking lights and I still could have passed it. I'd like to check it out this weekend if anyone can "point me in the right direction".

Thanks

Offline ccclimber

• NEClimbs Junior Member
Re: Lost Horizon Cliff
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2002, 06:15:53 AM »
haven't been there for some time but i remember the trail off the boulder loop could be missed. didn't see the #18 thing till on the way out. i seem to remember it being on a decaying stump.
Ed

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2002, 07:41:33 AM »
the #18 is/was on a PT 4x4 that's on the right side of the trail, going out. the carin is on the left right there. you can also see a talus field up & slightly right if you look carefully.

that said I haven't been up there since the Spring, so all that could have changed.
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Offline JAY

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2002, 09:50:51 AM »
Yeah the #18 sign is no longer there, but the cairn is still there. A better way to explain the approach is when you get to the first trail junction, one that says boulders 1.3 or something like that, dont take that go straight intsead, then you are on a trail that goes through a boulder field walk on this for about  minutes or so and you will go down a hill pass an old streambed, after the streambed there will be a cairn on the left side of the trail marking the trail up to the cliff.
jay

Brain Police

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2002, 08:46:33 AM »
wouldn't you just walk up to Sundown and then follow the trail along the base of the cliff up and to the left?