NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Top-roping at Cathedral  (Read 159 times)

Cavus

Top-roping at Cathedral
« on: November 21, 2002, 09:07:37 AM »

Does anyone know of any top-roping routes around Cathedral or North Conway, preferably pretty simple ones for beginners and intermediates?  Someone told me there's a set of 5.6 practice walls and a 5.9 north of Cathedral - can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

Climah

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Re: Top-roping at Cathedral
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2002, 09:31:15 AM »

The North End of Cathedral is located basically at the entrance to the auto road to the left of the highway gate. Most of the routes there can be top roped. However, I would probably caution against the idea at this time of year. It's a very sketchy approach to the top even in good weather. Depending on your skill level, there a couple of routes that you can rap down from the top and climb (in front of observation area). This too has it challenges both technical and otherwise. For starters, it's unsafe and in poor style to top rope anything that someone may be climbing below you (imagine being a leader and getting bopped in the head by someone's errant top rope).

The North End is your best bet to my knowledge. If you must climb now I would recomend leading Child's Play or Kiddie Crack rather than trying to negotiate the approach path. Have fun.

dogboy

• NEClimbs God
  • What?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2002, 11:09:27 AM »

Absolutely agree...several serious accidents have occured when people have tried to negotiate their way to the top of the North end practice slabs when the path was covered in wet leaves....
Everybody wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die.

Cavus

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2002, 06:31:28 AM »

OK, thanks for your help.  I've also been suggested to try Tumbledown Dick, near Gilead.  What do you think of this one in the current weather?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 22 queries.