NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sharpening Gear  (Read 147 times)

dogboy

• NEClimbs Moderator
  • NEClimbs God
  • What?
Sharpening Gear
« on: December 16, 2002, 01:31:49 PM »

There's been a lot of debate recently about whether it is wise to use a dremel tool to sharpen picks/points/screws.  Some claim that it is too easy with the dremel to overheat and detemper the metal.  Personally, I use a file to sharpen my picks and points, since it's easy enough to do, and I use a variable speed dremel with a fiber wheel to sharpen my screws, since it is easier to get a consistent bevel with the dremel than with a file.
It seems unlikely to me that it one would ever overheat the metal on a screw with a dremel and fiber wheel, especially with the dremel set at a low speed.  I've been renewing the heads on my allen keys for years by grinding them on a bench grinder, and while I would never use the grinder on my ice gear, I have to say that, even with a fairly heavy grit wheel, as long as I dunk the wrenches in water every 30 seconds or so, I never overheat the metal.
So...are there any metalurgists/materials engineers out there who actually know how hard it is to detemper steel with  a fiber wheel used at low speed?  My screws show no discoloring, and stay sharp for quite a while (unless I hit rock!), so I'm fairly certain they're fine...given the controversy, though, I'd like to hear an opinion or two from someone who might actually know the answer....
Everybody wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 23 queries.