NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crampons  (Read 217 times)

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Crampons
« on: January 06, 2003, 02:08:45 PM »

so what's the word on the latest round of crampons on the market? anyone have any strong feelings about any particular brand out there? it seems like convertible monopoint kits are the rule these days?

Al
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

fcm

Re: Crampons
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2003, 05:07:18 PM »

My choice is monopoints for fat ice, and alpine crampons for anything mixed and rock. If I had to choose only one, I would definitely grab the alpine crampons. Amazing on rock, and damned good on ice as well. My one cent.

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2003, 06:42:24 PM »

I've been trying out the M-10 Moser crampons this week. I really like them. they are definitely heavier than my older Grade 8's, but they have superb down-point arrangement & they are great on mixed ground. I did the Pegasus rock finish today & they fely totally solid.

Al
Al Hospers

Brrr

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2003, 09:07:53 AM »

I just switched to m-10's  setup as monopoints this season (after a few years with g-12's) and I can't believe the difference, having never used mono's before.  

The frontpoints are EXTREMELY durable too, I've been scraping away at rock a couple nights a week since november at a local road cut and the points have barely dulled at all!   Why can't cobra picks be made of the same stuff...

The anti-bot plates required a degree in physics to install (especially the one in the front) and bagin to disintegrate immediately upon use...  YMMV

FWIW, I still prefer the G-12s for Mt Washington

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2003, 05:38:52 PM »

I went ahead & got the M10's. I really like them a lot. I did Hobbit Couloir today & they were totally great on the rock. and of course they are super on the ice too. I bought the antibots but haven't installed them. we'll see how they hold up.

Al
Al Hospers

kevin

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • No matter where you go, there you are!" Buckaroo B
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2003, 10:52:46 AM »

I've been using RamboComps for two years now and love'em!  Easy to adjust to fit diffferent boots and real aggressive front points.  Mine are dual points, I find them a bit more secure on marginal ice.  Just a hint, Climb High has both mono's and dual's on closeout!
kevin

Jaims

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • Benighted? Again?!
    • Ice Climbing
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2003, 09:29:28 AM »

Yeah - I've had a pair of the rambo comps for two or three seasons now as well, and they're the mutt's nuts  :) ! One of my favourite features is the fact thay the cake-cutter part is bent so it's dead easy to work out which one is which! Very lazy, but VERY useful!

Sir_mix_allot

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2003, 10:48:43 AM »

I own both the M-10 and the Robocomp I like them both however, I find the Grivel to work better on mix and the CM on pure waterfall
BTW the CM antibot plate is the worst in the market they just fall apart in a matter of hours duck tame them before first use and they might last the season
I use double layer coke bottle antibot for the Robocomp the regular Rambo antibot simply don,t work
The coke bottle seems to hold up better then any antibot I ever had
;)

Sir_mix_allot

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2003, 10:53:25 AM »

I own both the M-10 and the Robocomp I like them both however, I find the Grivel to work better on mix and the CM on pure waterfall
BTW the CM antibot plate is the worst in the market they just fall apart in a matter of hours duck tape them before first use and they might last the season
I use double layer coke bottle antibot for the Robocomp the regular Rambo antibot simply don,t work
The coke bottle seems to hold up better then any antibot I ever had

ccclimber

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2003, 11:30:21 AM »

i converted my old rambo duel pts to the mono pt about three weeks ago...so far so good...i just recently got anti balling plates for my crampons..my wifes are three years old with no failures....i did however replace those metal deals that hold them in place with electrcal ties
Ed

kevin

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2003, 03:31:15 PM »

cccLIMBER, WAS THE DUAL TO MONO CONVERSION EXPENSIVE?  ALSO HOW RELIABLE ARE MONO'S IN ROTTEN OR SOFT ICE?  IN=SN'T SHEARING A RISK?
KEVIN

ccclimber

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2003, 05:00:42 PM »

i think is was about $45 for the conversion kit..new bails/spacers/screws/front points...i've been in rock hard to soft ice and they perform well..hardest part was finding the kit...got it from mtn tools..
Ed

kevin

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2003, 11:50:10 AM »

Mountain Tools?  on the web?  Do you have an address?  Iv'e got Rambo Comps and I heard they already have stopped making the heel spurs.  want to grab what I can asap.
kevin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 22 queries.