NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kinsman Notch  (Read 65 times)

rpdoucette

• NEClimbs Full Member
Kinsman Notch
« on: January 14, 2003, 12:38:36 PM »

If you have climbed ice at Kinsman Notch recently, I wonder if I could solicit your opinion on something:

The parking situation is tricky there.  We have been lucky that the state of NH has been plowing a bit of the road shoulder to allow roadside parking, but it is very limited.  I spoke to the USForestService today about the possibility of improving the parking situation a bit.  It is only a matter of time before they prohibit parking there for safety reasons; sombody some day will get whacked by an oncoming vehicle.  My thought was just a bit of road shoulder widening and lengthening, for maybe 6 cars.  The other option is for a real-live parking area for a few more cars, but I am not sure that is warranted by the number of routes.  Your thoughts?

Richard Doucette
Access Fund Regional Coordinator

dogboy

• NEClimbs God
  • What?
Re: Kinsman Notch
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2003, 01:21:30 PM »

One problem...if you put in an official parking lot or area, then you are tacitly if not explicitly stating that the ampitheater, and the trail leading to it, are in some way official...which may or may not lead you into a mess of Forest Service red tape.  I don't disagree with the sentiment behind proposing a parking solution...I just wonder whether something official is the best solution....
Everybody wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die.

ccclimber

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2003, 04:06:19 PM »

just park up the road about 1/4 mile...space there for a few more cars...actually if there are that many cars already present,,,move on!!!!getting an official involved could be self destructive..
Ed

Joe Robb

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2003, 07:51:06 PM »

IMHO, the amount of climbing at Kinsman does not justify an expansion of the parking.  There are spots for about four or five cars along the road, and there are about the same number of routes at Kinsman, give or take depending on conditions.  Based on my rudimentary calculus, that makes the parking sufficient.  I agree with ccclimber.  If the pullout is full, get a move on, because the crag will be crowded.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 22 queries.