NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ice in the Berkshires  (Read 133 times)

Polypro

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Ice in the Berkshires
« on: January 16, 2003, 09:10:13 AM »

I live in northern CT and am looking for nearby places to climb ice.  I heard there was some ice somewhere in the Berkshires--anybody know where?  What about CT?
Thanks for any info!

Bryan

Re: Ice in the Berkshires
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2003, 12:28:34 PM »

A place called Farely in Ma.  has good ice most years.  I don't know if it came in but chances are it did.  It's on Rt. 2 near Erving.  Be careful, it has touchy access issues.
Bryan

Lizz Bartlett

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2003, 10:36:03 AM »

I drove by Farley this morning and glassed the cliffs. The ice there looks thin and not well formed. It faces the sun most of the day, so chances are it isn't worth a trip yet. Also, the access is still very touchy so if you don't know the area you'll want to find a local.

Places that are not very sensitive are in the northern Berkshires. I'm not sure where in northern CT you would be coming from so your drive may be an hour or more. You can  find plenty to do at Zoar Roadcuts and Negus Mtn in Charlemont, MA and Hidden Canyon in North Adams,MA. If you're close to NY, you can also be in the Catskills in a reasonable amount of time, too.

Send me an e-mail and I can give directions. Dizzy@Gunks.com

Cheers!
Lizz

rmb

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2003, 12:20:21 PM »

Ice in CT is frigging phenomenal this year. It's not Huntington's Ravine but it's pretty good and doesn't involve a 5 hour drive. There's Race Brook Falls, TerryVille roadcut off rte8, Peoples Forest, a bunch of illegal stuff on the Barkhamsted Res., the illegal infamous Colebrook roadcut off rte 8, and a few really hidden gems near RattleSnake Mtn.

I live in Canton, CT and like to climb as much as possible. I've found a bunch of places this year if you'd like to go anytime. I climb most nights after work by headlamp. I'm also looking for a solid sane partner to climb Mt. Washington ravines with.

I'm back to leading NE3 most days if the ice is good and will follow whatever. Although most ice in CT so far isn't up to leading quality for me being very, very brittle and rather detached still in some areas.

It's all IN.

email me at rmb@angelfire.com

-RMB

"local"

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2003, 09:48:00 AM »

Farley access is touchy, but if you are not stupid then everyone will be ok! there is a nice sign at the designated parking area(that may or may not be plowed, i doubt it since it is just someone's lawn), but make sure you aren't parked on the road. Drive slow, don't be loud and don't require a rescue and access is ok!

check out newenglandbouldering.com message board for access stuff...there has been a flurry of activity on the board this week

i have also heard of ice on Mt Tom in holyoke, ma, but i can't say how hard or how big. i think charlemont is your best bet.

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2003, 01:51:55 PM »

how about Rose Ledge in Greenfield Mass? it's near Farley and doesn't have the access issues.

al
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Mr. Yak

Re: well it's not quite the berks.....
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2003, 03:28:10 PM »

Rose Ledges might be a good suggestion...it's a great small tope rope/headpoint area on Northeast Utilities property (with good access)...the only problem; I've never seen any ice there..... and it might not be the best idea to "drytool" your way up it.

Farley is "open,"  but all of the climbing is on private property.  That means... be on your best behavior.  It you do that... there will be no problem.

The landowners actually like climbers...and the "locals" (and the landowners)want to keep it that way.... So, If you go there....do the right thing.... don't do anything stupid.

thanks,

ed esmond

bryan

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2003, 09:59:36 AM »

I agree that dry tooling would be very bad form at rose ledges.  For a small crag it is very dear to a lot of people.  Because of it's small size, people tend to know every inch of every climb, and any dry tooling would be noticed very quickly, and upset a lot of good people.(including myself)  
Bryan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 22 queries.