Author Topic: Pipe Dream  (Read 588 times)

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Pipe Dream
« on: December 12, 2005, 12:51:00 pm »
Alden Pellett, Will Mayo, and Doug Dillon climbed a new route at Lake Willoughby starting about 100-150 feet north (left) of Called on Account of Rains at the sidewalk ledge. Not to be confused with 5 Musketeers to the right of Called.

"Pipe Dream",(WI6 R/X, M5) climbs a plumb line for 3 pitches, 170 meters. (Pitch 1- WI6R/X 50 meters, Pitch 2- WI4/4+ thin 60 meters, Pitch 3- M5 wild! 50 meters).

The line has been watched for years and never formed more than a thin skin of ice down the vertical face and never quite reaching the ground before, now forming a striking plumb vertical line down the cliff face. The first pitch, the crux of the route, finally formed a 1-2 foot wide pipeline of thin, aerated, hollow ice with a tenuous, free-hanging section. Much of the pitch rung differently with each placement like playing the pipes. The middle pitch was a rope-length of sometimes hollow WI4/4+ stubby-protected climbing. The upper pitch was diverse, wild climbing featuring exposure, good protection possibilities, steep rock, with a short, fierce freehanger to finish in the trees. 3 rappels directly down via trees and then threads to the ground.
Al Hospers

Offline kyarnall

• NEClimbs Newbie
Re: Pipe Dream
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 03:41:03 pm »
I am a researcher from National Geographic Maps. We are currently working on a geotourism map of Vermont. We would very much like to use the photo taken by Doug Dillon (cover shot #20051212 ). Can anyone put me in contact with Doug? My email is kyarnall@ngs.org.
Thanks,
Kaitlin

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 04:52:57 pm »
log on to www.neice.com  Doug is the  admin of that site. His screen name is neice.

Offline Dave

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 07:52:18 am »
Just to clear up some confusion. Doug Millen is the admin. of neice.com but he will be able to put you in touch with Doug Dillon. They are pretty good friends and both great guys. Thier names are so close it is an easy mistake to make. Dave R