Author Topic: Something weird at Hanging Gardens  (Read 1186 times)

DLottmann

Something weird at Hanging Gardens
« on: December 23, 2005, 07:14:47 pm »
I noticed at the hanging gardens today a 30ft this steel cable "pin remover" for lack of the correct term attached to the pin on  Scratching Post.  Does anyone know what this is for?  All I could surmise was that possibly someone rapped the route to try and steal the pin?  There must be another reason...  Also a friend mentioned some folks top-roping Within Reason knocked down a significant amount of ice, which looked like it was coming in beautifully.  Shouldn't we wait a little longer in the season and give these climbs a chance to build?

Offline slobmonster

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • Eschew obfuscatory polysyllabicati on
Re: Something weird at Hanging Gardens
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 11:58:05 pm »
Perhaps someone has been nice enough to leave what amounts to a fixed draw up there.  More durable than nylon, anyway.

Sorry that the resource is getting so quickly depleted.  Not the first time this has happened...

Offline Griffin

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 12:22:35 am »
That's funny Dave, I was out there Wednesday and saw it too, but the wierd thing was there was no visible traffic on the route.  It is strange though...I hadn't seen seen any of the ice taken down yet either.  I saw a bunch of it get weed wacked last year right around this time last year.

DLottmann

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 02:18:52 pm »
Perhaps someone has been nice enough to leave what amounts to a fixed draw up there.  More durable than nylon, anyway.

A 30 foot draw?  It reaches the ground...

DLottmann

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 02:22:57 pm »
btw, when would within reason be in enough for you to do it? when it touches the ground.  the route is now just like it was on the first ascent.

In enough for me to lead it or top-rope it?  Did you guys lead it?  The info I got was that people were taking laps on it.  I feel some routes should be saved for lead attempts, and that tr-ing them early and retarding their growth is a bit selfish...  If you lead it, and set up a TR for your buddies... that's another thing...

Offline slobmonster

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • Eschew obfuscatory polysyllabicati on
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 02:34:55 pm »

A 30 foot draw?  It reaches the ground...
Ah.  What I presumed was your typo is now mine. 

Offline DWarriner

• NEClimbs God
  • - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2005, 07:42:27 am »
This was there last Saturday - the 17th.  We never did come up with a reason for the thing.  My best guess was farming a curtain of ice.  didn't seem like it would be very effective though.

Maybe it's art?

-David
There are no stupid questions - only stupid answers.

DLottmann

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2005, 05:50:59 pm »
btw, when would within reason be in enough for you to do it? when it touches the ground.  the route is now just like it was on the first ascent.

In enough for me to lead it or top-rope it?  Did you guys lead it?  The info I got was that people were taking laps on it.  I feel some routes should be saved for lead attempts, and that tr-ing them early and retarding their growth is a bit selfish...  If you lead it, and set up a TR for your buddies... that's another thing...

We led scratching post and thought it would be fun to do within reason.  Should we put no climbing allowed signs on such routes, until they come in according to your taste?  If I led it (which I probably could have, I would beat it up even more). That said, i kind of agree with you on much bigger and more significant routes, such as repentance, which gets beat up well before it's forming potential.

Timeline-wise Scratching Post must have had that 30 ft cable on it when you led it, or you may have put it there?  Any idea?

I don't think we should put up signs or set rules like that, and I admit to being lowered down Dropline late last season and I regret ruining my chance to onsight it.  But the growth that seems to be happening in the Hanging Gardens this season could lead to new lines, and I think there are better places to TR fragile routes (Texaco).  Just my two cents... I don't think it is that wrong, but I would hate to see someone knock down Reasonable on TR before anyone gets to lead it.

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2005, 07:42:27 pm »
Top ropeing thin ice sucks dog snot!!!!!!!!!! wrecks it for the folks that can actually climb it!!!!!

Offline Jim_Ewing

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2005, 10:28:40 pm »
Al, any chance you can delete this thread?  The horse is not just dead it's fossilized.

Offline punxnotdead

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2005, 07:52:49 am »
Al, any chance you can delete this thread?  The horse is not just dead it's fossilized.

I deleted mine, not because you are so enlightened but because it doesnt matter.
someone dropped a steamer in the gene pool

"climbing with a deep knowledge of what we are doing is what we all want to climb high and safe" Champoing

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2005, 08:13:09 am »
fossilized topic locked

-AL
Al Hospers

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2005, 11:05:53 pm »
now unlocked by popular request...

--al
Al Hospers

Offline barryj

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2005, 01:43:47 am »

Well, as of 11am today the cable and biner were still there.....laying on the ground in the snow.
I picked it up and hung it off a tree on my way down.  Pretty weird.....