NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fly vs Axar  (Read 154 times)

Exacompta

• NEClimbs Newbie
Fly vs Axar
« on: January 30, 2003, 09:49:54 AM »

Hey there,

So let's say that one has been regularly bumming their friend's gear to go ice climbing and has now decided to actually go out and buy some tools, but the friends tools are no longer on the market.

I've seen good package deals involving the 'Fly' and the 'Axar' (about 520 bucks for axes, 4 screws, Crampons, and 3 screamers, that's good no?) and have swung both in a shop. Found I liked both 'ok' and would probably just get used to whichever I bought. So what I'm wondering, those of you who have either - any serious problems with either model?

Does the leash suck, are the picks brittle, is the adze useless??? Any useful first hand info would be helpful.....what do you like and not like about your weapons of choice?

thanks (for making me an informed consumer)

Christine

(and yes, I should go and demo, but for the sake of argument let's say that I can't or simply won't.)

dogboy

• NEClimbs Moderator
  • NEClimbs God
  • What?
Re: Fly vs Axar
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2003, 11:05:52 AM »

Haven't used either of those particular tools...but I will say that, having owned tools by Grivel, BD, and Charlet Moser, I find the CM stuff to be the best...good availability of replacement parts, good swing, good durability, etc.  Haven't used/owned any stuff from DMM, but I will say that, where I live, replacement parts would be impossible to find...nobody in North Conway stocks any of their stuff....
Everybody wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die.

moonman

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2003, 04:19:59 PM »

I've been enjoying a pair of Flys (Flies?) this season.  They seem to be standing up fairly well to my beginner bashing.  They are lighter than many tools out there, which some may find kind of weird, but once you get used to it, they feel pretty good.

If you're in the North Conway area you can get DMM stuff at Craggers.

T_Moon

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2003, 04:38:12 PM »

The leash that comes on the Fly tools is pretty cool.  It snugs up nice and snug but if you slip the attached loop over the adze or hammer you can loosen it right up.  They stick well and the modest bend of the shaft suits me.  The head is one piece, but replacements cost about the same as just picks for other brands.

I think they are good tools.
If you want to get to the peak, you ought to climb without giving it too much thought.

--Nietzsche

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2003, 08:31:30 PM »

if you are limited in funds I would check out the Trango Captain Hook or the Lightening Hook. they are nice tools at very competitive prices. if you have a bit more $ I would get a BD Viper. I really like the tool a lot. it swings well and has great clearance. I'll have a review up here next week.

Al
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 23 queries.