NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice for Mt. Washington, adn boot suggestions  (Read 130 times)

gearup5000

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • Izheet M'Druwurz - On America's Most Wanted!
Advice for Mt. Washington, adn boot suggestions
« on: February 04, 2003, 12:19:04 PM »

have to start doing some serious research, but would like some info that doesn`t always translate from the literature i.e. the good stuff

I might be going with people from my univeristy, so any suggestions on going in groups of 8 or so in winter?
spacing - 2 4man teams or ??
Also, division of labor.

My other pressing question is what boots to have?

My main reason for going is someone else will be driving (cheaper, but safer?) and costs are subsidized

Prefer not to go with ppl I don`t know, so might drag a friend along, if they afford the missed time that would have gone to their studies :)

thanks

Alex

Re: Advice for Mt. Washington, adn boot suggestion
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2003, 02:08:52 PM »

well...I guess I should first ask, what exactly are you planning to do on Mt. Washington - just a hike up the Lions Head? technical climbing? What is the experience of your group?

btw just out of curiosity where do you go to school? (i'm at BU)

gearup5000

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • Izheet M'Druwurz - On America's Most Wanted!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2003, 09:58:56 PM »

I figure it's Lion's head - nice and easy path - I've been up Washington in Summer - on...Huntington? excapes me now but it's the one with the "Fan" - 1mile elevation in 1mile of hiking (rise over run)

exeperience of the group? probably not overly high

just want some do's/don't suggestions for Washington

not sure if it will materialize for me this year, but definately next year

Alex

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2003, 06:25:17 AM »

Alright...well, basically a winter ascent up the Lions Head is often not that big of a deal ON A NICE DAY...this is key. Seriously, try to choose a day with a good forecast...especially keep the wind in mind. In terms of gear you will need some kind of mountaineering boots, crampons and an ice axe...all this you can rent at the three North Conway equipment stores IME, EMS and Ragged Mountain (I think this website has links to them). Also key is enough clothes...even if the forecast is good, it can get cold and nasty REALLY fast. Lets see what else...have a map with you and look at it beforehand to get an idea of where things are...sort of a visual picture of the terrain before you head out.

Don't forget to take the WINTER version of the Lions Head trail. It goes off to the left soon after the second bridge off the Tuckerman Ravine Trail onto a tractor road, but then very quickly turns right. There are sings - just don't miss em!

The steep section begins soon after this interesection and ends around treeline. It's pretty steep, but shouldn't be too much of a problem for people in good shape.

Above treeline make sure you follow the cairns and stay on the trail. Usually you will know where the trail is as it will be relatively packed out, but not neccesarily.

The descent of the steep section might take more time than the ascent, but again if you're generally athletic it shouldn't be a problem.

good luck dude

OldEric

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • climb on
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2003, 06:52:43 AM »

The previous post has the left/right descriptions for getting to the winter Lion's Head trail reversed.  Therre are big orange signs in any case.  Coming down it's a bit more of an issue to find the winter turn off - but in good condtions it will be easy to folow the herd path.

Ivan_Chomkin

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2003, 02:45:52 PM »

YES...you're right - my bad!

my God, i am embarrassed...i've been in this area about 20 thousand times by now... :-[

Ivan_Chomkin

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2003, 02:47:30 PM »

ok just to avoid confusion let me clarify something - "Ivan Chomkin" and "Alex" are the same person; Ivan Chomkin is a fictional character, Alex is my real name...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 22 queries.