NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Presidential Traverse....  (Read 174 times)

mickymac1

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Presidential Traverse....
« on: February 14, 2003, 05:24:32 AM »

Planning a traverse this weekend. Forecast calls for temps of 20 to 30 below. Looks as tho we'll be testing my inner souls this weekend. Will have a report next week.

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: Presidential Traverse....
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2003, 10:56:14 AM »

wooh wee... you guys are some serious hard folken. be careful or you will have very frozen appendages! be safe up there.

al
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Ivan_Chomkin

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2003, 01:32:30 PM »

my thoughts exactly...

btw it was almost 40 below last night on the summit (WITHOUT the windchill) and should be even colder both tonight and Saturday night.

Mike McNeill

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2003, 03:34:04 AM »

Minus 29 for a high up there yesterday! Discretion got the better part of valor. We decided to live, to try another day!

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2003, 07:09:14 AM »

my friend saw one of the local really-hard guys trying Dropline very early in the season. he went up on the pillar & then backed down saying "I think I want to live today." you have to know when NOT to go for it!

<grin>

al
Al Hospers

kurtster

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • ride hard and climb safe
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2003, 01:38:39 PM »

.we were in the notch at 7;30 this morn to do smear and banchee and it was -10  to -15 and blowing good i want enjoy myself not suffer in pain so we bailed hope the wind let down later

schwortz

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2003, 09:39:49 AM »

did shoestring on saturday
left the car a little after 7am
was very cold. very very cold. very windy. very cold.
climbing was good. ice was hard and brittle. was very cold on the climb.  got me a little frostbite to remind me not to be stupid in the future.  

fear

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2003, 05:49:29 PM »

Sounds like more frozen dead people........

If it's blowing over 70 it doesn't matter how cold it is or how warm or how strong you are. You'll get knocked on your ass over and over. If it's blowing over 70 AND it's -20 or so ambient then you'll get knocked on your ass and frozen. At the very least you will get some frostbite. Drop a mitten? You've got about 30 seconds to put on another. Drop your goggles trying to clear the ice? You've got about two minutes before you are completely blind.

You'll be in those conditions all day remember. Got special liners and full overboots? I hope so...

Respect Mt. Washington.... she's not Denali but she'll kill you just the same...

Don't be stupid....

:'( :'(

-RMB

mickymac1

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2003, 10:04:50 AM »

Yes, I've been on Denali. Yes, I have special overboots. Yes, I have the right equipment. And yes, we still decided not to go.  ;)

concerned nc resident

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2003, 09:39:36 AM »

you guys are all a bunch of spew puppets :-X

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2003, 07:28:33 AM »

I did a traverse this past Fri-Sun with my friend Jim Gagne. it was absolutely typical for Mt. Washington. Friday was a bluebird kind of day. hiked in our tights & polypro all day. Saturday started out with rain turning to freezing rain turning to sleet & 80+ winds. it blew me off the trail twice & when my hood came off whipped my hat away in an instant! we took refuge in the Lake of the Clouds dungeon that's always open and the winds howled & raged allnight. there was 6 inches of ice on the floor. Sunday started out clear & breezy and turned to cloudy & damp. we had some of everything that the range has to offer, but that's why you do it. we started at 8:15 am on Friday and were down at 2 pm on Sunday. we saw 2 other parties on Friday, but believe that they bailed Saturday morning when the rains started.

I don't think there is a better place to train for the mountains.

Al  
Al Hospers

mickymac1

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2003, 02:03:50 PM »

Hey Al, You are right, there is no better place to train for the mountains than the Presidentials. I absolutely love that area. I did the traverse in summer of 96, when I did the hut to hut trip in which I knocked off 20 of the 48 4000 footers in a week!! Now the goal is to complete the traverse in winter. Tried it in 2001 as training for Denali but got blown off once we reached Washington, and of course the weekend we picked this year turns out to be 30 below!! But it just means I'll have to try again next winter! What trails did you go up and come down on, and where did you stay Friday night?

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2003, 06:59:48 PM »

Mickey,

we started on the Valley View trail from Appalacia just above Gorham. took that to the Madison Hut & had lunch. then we continued up and over the saddle to just before Thunderhead Junction, where we spent the night at a great campsite just off the trail. it was an incredibly beautiful day and evening. we were hiking in our polypro & were very comfortable. this took ~6 hours.

the second day we went thru Edmunds Col, skirted Jefferson, crossed the Cog and down to the Lake of the Clouds hut in brutal weather. we spent a cold & stormy night there, listening to classic rock played very LOUD to try & drown out the storm. this took ~8 1/2 hours in very bad conditions.

Sunday we went over Eisenhower & past Pierce & then down the Crawford Path. in spite of a turnaround on the trail below Eisenhower, which isn't marked BTW, this only took another 6 hours.

we didn't do a lot of summits, due mainly to me being a tired 55 year-old slacker. <grin> still it was a special trip. we had the total of conditions and I'm sure I will remember it all my life.
Al Hospers

mickymac1

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2003, 07:45:49 AM »

"we didn't do a lot of summits, due mainly to me being a tired 55 year-old slacker. <grin> still it was a special trip."

Al, we don't need to "bag" summits to have an enjoyable trip. As far as I'm concerned, it's all about the "experience". The views that you can't get from a winnebago, the camaraderie with friends, seeing just what our 50 year old bodies can do, and the feeling of self satisfaction when the hike, climb, or trip is complete. The mountains are my sanctuary. It's where I get my peace, whether I summit or not.  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 23 queries.