NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mountaineering/Ski Mountaineering  (Read 186 times)

cguertin

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Mountaineering/Ski Mountaineering
« on: February 19, 2003, 09:52:39 AM »

So I want to get one boot to do mountaineering, ice climbing,  and skiing for the descent. My research has told me that trying to ski in plastic "ice climbing" boots is a waste of time. Anyone disagree with that? I am not really sure about ice climbing(nevermind mixed) in AT boots. It seems like the Scarpa Laser will be my best choice.

What I really want to know - has anyone done any vertical climbing in the Laser(or any AT boot)?

Perhaps a little background might help. I have ice climbed a few times, ski raced since I was 5(ussa pts <100), and I rock climb ~5.11.

The ideal kind of expedition in my head would be something like ascend the Trap Dike on Colden and ski down the slide on the other side.

I have also seen little fat skis with skins permanently attached to the bottoms(some area was left for glideing), metal edges, and big bindings that looked like snowboard bindings and could probably take any boot.

If I had to buy something now, I would buy the Laser, but this will all probably have to wait for next year so I am looking for input now.....so.........

kevin

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • No matter where you go, there you are!&quot; Buckaroo B
Re: Mountaineering/Ski Mountaineering
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2003, 01:38:29 PM »

I have plastic boots and downhill in them.  I use Silvreta bindings and Atomic Tourguide light 175's.  This set up eliminates the need to drag extra footware on backcountry climbs.  I think you will find that AT boots are too stiff for climbing.
kevin

cguertin

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2003, 01:37:10 PM »

What boots do you have? I was considering the Vertical's, but the skiing thing stopped me.

Also, do the bindings allow you to climb in them? AND lock the heal down.? I don't really want to learn to tele(although I might), and I don't want to have to carry snowshoes smoetimes...

kevin

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • No matter where you go, there you are!&quot; Buckaroo B
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2003, 05:56:35 AM »

I should have ben a bit more specific.  The bindings are Silvretta 500's.  They are the only one that will accomadate most boots.  DO NOT get the 550's, they will only work with AT boots.  I can go free heel for uphill including two elevator settings( saves your calves on steep climbs) and lock the heels in for downhill.  I now use Scarpa Alpha's, previously I was using Koflach Viva Soft Gells.  I am not an expert skier, but I find I can even use this setup on traditional downhill ski areas black diamond trails. The Alphas are the lightest plastic boot I've seen and thay are quite warm down to about -10F. You acn email me if you have mor questions.  From what you've written your focus is on skiing, mine was on ice climbing.  My setup favors the climbing end, using AT boots favors the ski end at a cost of foot dexterity. Email me at kcosta@attbi.com if you have more questions.  I'll be in the Chic Choks for the next week. Good luck!
kevin

Chris Clarke

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2003, 04:58:35 PM »

I have a Silvretta 500 and Black Diamond Arc Ascent set up that I use with Nepal Tops, Scarpa Invernos, and Scarpa Tambos depending on whether I'm more interested in skiing, touring or climbing.  The Nepal Tops work fine for touring and easy downhill skiing but I wouldn't want to use them to ski anything steep.  They worked great getting to and from Avalanche Pass in the Adirondacks, if that's a helpful reference point.  The Scarpa Invernos ski a little better but not that much.  Maybe with more practice I could ski reasonably well in them but I doubt it.  The Tambos are a lightweight AT boot and ski very well.  You could easily climb fat ice in those boots but I wouldn't want to try anything delicate or mixed or walk too much in them.

Basically, I think you need more than one boot to ski and climb but I think you can get by with one set of skis and bindings.  

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2003, 07:38:18 PM »

I have a pair of Atomic's & Silveretta bindings that I've used for several seasons now. I don't really ski, just use them for long approaches. I've used them in Canada several times & they were great. I just got Nepal Top's this year, so I haven't used them much. previously I used my Koflac Expe's. terrible to ski in, but they are a great climbing boot.

dunno if that helps...

Al
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.479 seconds with 22 queries.