Author Topic: Gunks Motel?  (Read 873 times)

Tomcat

Gunks Motel?
« on: March 28, 2006, 11:31:42 AM »
Just about that time,Gunks time. We've been staying at the Rodeway motel.The cachet of hotbunking there has faded and now we are again looking for recommendations. Someplace with clean rooms,good beds and a reasonable cancellation policy.Anybody have recommendations?Any reliable bed and breakfasts? Maybe around 100.00 night?

I will sleep on a ledge,but not on the ground.

MUA=NFW !

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
Re: Gunks Motel?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 11:43:29 AM »
Tomcat.

Did you get my PM with regard to the Gunks Motel?

Grammy
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Tomcat

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 12:22:10 PM »
I did,thanks Grammy. We had planned to go this weekend but the Saturday weather looked iffy earlier in the week. Probably will check out the super 8 in two weeks.Thanks.

Tomcat

Offline old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 02:34:40 PM »
Hey Tomcat!

Yah...Saturday looks like a bust...hopefully things will dry out for Sunday? Maybe the South Butt?

grammy
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

DWarriner

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 04:14:35 PM »
Motel options at the Gunks are terrible.  All are seedy and everything is way too expensive for what you get.  (never been to the Rodeway though)

87 Motel is a hole.  Econo Lodge is barely acceptable with a suspicous owner - but I'd take either one of them over the Super 8 where last time I went there I found a lice climbing around in the sheets.  It was probably just a one time thing, but I don't think I can bring myself to go back there.

I put the bugger in a plastic bag and brought it to the desk and the guy there told me it was a tick and that I probably brought it with me.

I didn't feel like arguing, but I won't be back.

Camping is cleaner than the motels there.

-David

Tomcat

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 04:24:48 PM »
Lice climbing season is pretty much over... ;)

Ambler

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 05:42:15 PM »
We had reasonable stays at the Super 8 motel in Kingston on our recent trips.  It's about 15 minutes by highway from New Paltz, but the motel might be a bit cheaper, no traffic noise, cheeful staff, and it's dog-friendly.

Previously, I've had less pleasant stays at several of the New Paltz motels.

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 11:17:31 PM »
hey, if camp slime is cleaner than the motels they must be pretty rugged!!! I had a horrible stay at the super 8 in 1983. It was a hole back then. Camped there dozens of times but it is too crouded now.

Ambler

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 08:54:40 AM »
Yeah, I didn't care for the Super 8 in New Paltz last time we tried it.
We liked the Super 8 in Kingston better, and would stay there again.

RB

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 07:23:11 AM »
we stayed in the 87  for most of a week in oct.( when it snowed thirty inches here) three guys one room very cheap that way but the room was a dump....then one night I needed another room and it seemed like a different motel... a clean one..so just ask to see the room first

jeremy

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2006, 06:13:19 PM »
Previously, I've had less pleasant stays at several of the New Paltz motels.
Sheesh! You said I wasn't a bad roommate! Now I know how you really feel.

Offline Jean Goldsborough

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 02:56:44 PM »
The New Paltz Hostel right next to the bus station is where I always stay.  Affordable with a shower and a bunk bed (linens and towel included).  Craig the owner is a sweetheart and his dog Kiote is a teddy bear rottie. 
Hostels have their advantages and disadvantages - I wont go into that.  The New Paltz Hostel has it's own interesting character.  They have a lot of permamnent residents there so it's hard to get a bed sometimes, but it's worth it (I think) if you get in.  Cancellation policy isnt ideal but since it's half the price of the cheap motels it's still tolerable.  Please, if you stay there, read (or ask about) the rules and abide by them.  Hostels are a community affair.
Enjoy