NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Climbing etiquette ?  (Read 210 times)

agoodnap

• NEClimbs Newbie
Climbing etiquette ?
« on: April 03, 2006, 12:10:10 AM »

OK, Newbie here... i spent the winter in an indoor gym, preparing to get outside this spring.  But now it's here and my buddies don't seem as excited.  Are ther spots around where it's ok to show up and ask people to let me climb with them?  Waiting for a friend to teach me to anchor so I would only have to find people to belay me, but for now I need it all?!  Any thoughts or advice?

meclimber

• NEClimbs God
  • Climb for your own reasons.
Re: Climbing etiquette ?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 06:19:16 AM »

I think that showing up randomly at a cliff is fine.  Besides the fact that you'll always meet somebody It's a good way to get into a crowd that spends their time climbing outside.  This forum is also a great place to find partners, good luck.
Jon Howard

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 09:04:34 AM »

Some areas that have a lot of top ropeing and collect crowds of climbers on weekends. Find a spot like this andhang out. boulder a bit and  hope a crowd gathers. If you see a group that looks like they are friendly and know what they are doing then ask if you can climb with them. be honest about your experience level. Also use the partners forum to try and find some reguler partners. Good luck.

M_Sprague

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 09:16:50 PM »

Depending on your resources, you could also hire a guide a couple times, maybe get in on a group rate and thereby meet some other climbers and learn some skills, safety and otherwise. An alternative could be to go to a crag and solo around until you scare someone enough that they offer you a belay. :o
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is not a path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • It's All Good, Just Climb!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 10:29:06 PM »

Good advice alll around.

Don't discount the weekdays after work crowd however. Don't know where you are located but there is a pretty friendly, knowledgeable after work crowd at Crow Hill Tuesday through Thursday depending on the weather. Many top ropes are rigged and generally everyone is welcome to hop on. The weekend crowd is fine but a bit more diverse and perhaps just a bit more difficult to hook a ride with.

Just a word of warning it always pays to take a walk up top and look at the anchor set-ups before accepting a ride on a rope. Looks can be deceiving. A group that looks like they have their stuff together are perfectly capable of setting up a bunk top rope anchor. Even as a beginner you should be able to get a good idea of what is solid and what is not but taking a look at it.

Mark's suggestion of "solo around until you scare someone enough that they offer you a belay" is certainly innovative and gave me a good chuckle although I'm pretty sure there are easier and perhaps safer ways of hooking up with people.

I think you are on the right track. Don't be shy about introducing youself and asking for a belay. The worse that can happen is for someone to say no. I am in my fifth year of climbing and have found climbers in general to be an overwhelmingly nice, supportive and generous group of people and don't remember anyone who hasn't been willing to share their knowledge and a belay with me.

Good luck and have fun!

agoodnap

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 12:00:12 PM »

Thanks all.  I have also heard from a few people off the climbing partners post. 

Waiting for the rain to end.  Have a good one!

Andi
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 22 queries.