Author Topic: emergency equipment FAQ ?  (Read 444 times)

Offline buzdelabuz2

• NEClimbs Newbie
emergency equipment FAQ ?
« on: April 04, 2006, 02:47:27 PM »

Is there a secion on this site where somebody might have documented emergency equipment one can carry to ask for help, in case you or somebody is badly injured ?

I am thinking of:

*) Is there a radio frequency that can be reached from places in the White (like Mount Washington)  ?
*) Is it worth it buying a 2 ways radio ? Do they work ? (To monitor or use if badly needed)
*) Is there a class that can be taken that explains all these things ?

I have the impression I am probably not the only one who is wondering about this ...

Thanks again for anybody who is taking the time to answer my questions.

Re: emergency equipment FAQ ?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 06:16:59 PM »
1) Self-rescue skills learned from an experienced climber or take a course from a climbing school.  Check out

2) Wilderness First Aid or First Responder Course.  Check out

3) Whistle, headlamp, water-resistent windbreaker with you on every multi-pitch route.

4) Cell phone with NH Fish & Game (800)322-5018, IME "Mountain Rescue Service" 603-356-6316, pre-programmed.

Ham radios are expensive, heavy, and require a license to use.  I only know one guide in the valley who uses one.  The FRS 2-ways are lighter and cheaper, but really only effective 2 miles or less, IF someone is listening.  Not very reliable.  Cell phone coverage varies greatly with provider, and what part of a ridge you are on, but I have gotten a signal many out-back places, so I carry one.  The most important piece of emergancy equipment is you BRAIN!  Get trained!

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 07:54:18 PM »
To add to Dmans list.
Roll of tape.
Lighter, matches or both.
light first aid kit.
Extra batterys for headlamp.
at least 2 prusics  and a tbloc per climber.
Chemical hand warmers.

Offline buzdelabuz2

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 12:53:12 PM »
Thanks folks, I appreciate.

Offline T_Moon

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 01:18:55 PM »
Don't forget a small knife!

Trad -- condoms?  Do they have a use beyond protection during amorous trysts with your partner while waiting for rescue?

I can't get psyched about radios.  Last summer there was a party following behind me on the slabs and their radio conversations were totally inane and distracting.   :(  They're lucky I didn't grab one of their radios and hurl it off the cliff.
If you want to get to the peak, you ought to climb without giving it too much thought.

Offline JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
  • "Don't worry, this won't hurt me a bit"
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 11:56:38 PM »
T-moon,  I think as long as you keep the radio talk to normal climbing stuff  ie on/off belay.. climb on.. etc it's a useful tool in the wind or around large roofs (both a pain at the gunks and worse in combination)

i used them for the first time on WH a month or so ago and it was nice when the wind really got whipping. we only used them maybe twice but was helpful those times.

i'm not jumping to get a set but if they are available and the situation is right then i'm down with them.  but definitely keep the chatter down and respect everyone else.  I wouldn't rely on them to call for help though.
"I really don't know who act like if he have the true." -Champoing