Author Topic: emergency equipment FAQ ?  (Read 225 times)

Offline buzdelabuz2

• NEClimbs Newbie
emergency equipment FAQ ?
« on: April 04, 2006, 02:47:27 PM »
Folks,

Is there a secion on this site where somebody might have documented emergency equipment one can carry to ask for help, in case you or somebody is badly injured ?

I am thinking of:

*) Is there a radio frequency that can be reached from places in the White (like Mount Washington)  ?
*) Is it worth it buying a 2 ways radio ? Do they work ? (To monitor or use if badly needed)
*) Is there a class that can be taken that explains all these things ?

I have the impression I am probably not the only one who is wondering about this ...

Thanks again for anybody who is taking the time to answer my questions.

:)

DLottmann

Re: emergency equipment FAQ ?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 06:16:59 PM »
1) Self-rescue skills learned from an experienced climber or take a course from a climbing school.  Check out emsclimb.com.

2) Wilderness First Aid or First Responder Course.  Check out http://www.soloschools.com/

3) Whistle, headlamp, water-resistent windbreaker with you on every multi-pitch route.

4) Cell phone with NH Fish & Game (800)322-5018, IME "Mountain Rescue Service" 603-356-6316, pre-programmed.

Ham radios are expensive, heavy, and require a license to use.  I only know one guide in the valley who uses one.  The FRS 2-ways are lighter and cheaper, but really only effective 2 miles or less, IF someone is listening.  Not very reliable.  Cell phone coverage varies greatly with provider, and what part of a ridge you are on, but I have gotten a signal many out-back places, so I carry one.  The most important piece of emergancy equipment is you BRAIN!  Get trained!

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 07:54:18 PM »
To add to Dmans list.
Roll of tape.
Lighter, matches or both.
light first aid kit.
Extra batterys for headlamp.
at least 2 prusics  and a tbloc per climber.
Chemical hand warmers.
Condoms.

Offline buzdelabuz2

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 12:53:12 PM »
Thanks folks, I appreciate.

Offline T_Moon

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 01:18:55 PM »
Don't forget a small knife!

Trad -- condoms?  Do they have a use beyond protection during amorous trysts with your partner while waiting for rescue?

I can't get psyched about radios.  Last summer there was a party following behind me on the slabs and their radio conversations were totally inane and distracting.   :(  They're lucky I didn't grab one of their radios and hurl it off the cliff.
If you want to get to the peak, you ought to climb without giving it too much thought.

--Nietzsche

Offline JakeDatc

• NEClimbs God
  • "Don't worry, this won't hurt me a bit"
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 11:56:38 PM »
T-moon,  I think as long as you keep the radio talk to normal climbing stuff  ie on/off belay.. climb on.. etc it's a useful tool in the wind or around large roofs (both a pain at the gunks and worse in combination)

i used them for the first time on WH a month or so ago and it was nice when the wind really got whipping. we only used them maybe twice but was helpful those times.

i'm not jumping to get a set but if they are available and the situation is right then i'm down with them.  but definitely keep the chatter down and respect everyone else.  I wouldn't rely on them to call for help though.
"I really don't know who act like if he have the true." -Champoing