NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Allergies  (Read 130 times)

buckeeb

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • Donuts is there anything they can't do?!
Allergies
« on: May 08, 2006, 11:59:54 PM »

If it's not bugs it's allergies {sniff}. I have only spent a few years hear in NE and each spring {sniff sniff} as those accursed trees and flowers start to bloom, my eyes swell  like bloodshot cauliflower, my nose runs more than Frankenstein and my throat burns with the fire of a thousand suns. A day at the cliffs means two or three miserable days at home afterwards.

I can't possibly stand alone in my misery: so what works for you? Because taking a Benadryl with a red bull chaser is making me tired yet hyper.

Perhaps I am not made of that New England metal -doomed to suffer from the four horsemen of the apocolypse: Mosquitos, black flies, allergies and dentists.

Tomcat

Re: Allergies
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 07:01:43 AM »

Benadryl does nothing for me.Tavist works the best for me.Last year I did not have an allergy day all spring,but right now it's rampant.

This is the only time I will ever use the crying emoticon,it's eyes are watering.... :o :'(

Bill

• NEClimbs Full Member
  • It's All Good, Just Climb!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 10:12:45 AM »

You are not alone.

I have been pretty miserable the last week down here in Mass. Saturday was the worst.
My wife told me she heard one of the TV weatherman refer to the recent pollen levels as "epic".

I have experience with two non-sedating antihistamines Claritin (loratadine), aka Alavert. It is sold over the counter in your local drug store. Didn't make me drowsy but didn't totally deal with the symptoms.

Allegra (fexofenadine), which unfortuantely is prescription ($), deals very well with the symptoms. The first day or two of taking it I feel slightly drowsy but after that I adjust to it and feel fine.

Luckily I am effected only by the tree pollen which should be gone soon.

ToddSH

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 11:14:24 AM »

Damn tree sperm. We should burn all the trees.
You can try an allergy shot at the doctors. I have heard very good results. Some people swear by them. Todd

old_school

• NEClimbs God
  • "Climb Now, Work Later."
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 12:06:52 PM »

You are not alone. I have experience with two non-sedating antihistamines Claritin (loratadine), aka Alavert. It is sold over the counter in your local drug store. Didn't make me drowsy but didn't totally deal with the symptoms.

Claritin worked OK with me in the past, sometimes just a shot of sudafed is what the Dr. ordered. Haven't had any symptoms at all this season, but my son was a mess this weekend. Go figure?
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes."

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 12:25:24 PM »

yes, this spring is one of the worst pollen seasons that I have experienced in the 10 years I've lived up here. I've been allergic to tree pollen, maple & oak, since I was a kid. eyes get very red and I have a terrible runny nose. I've tried a lot of things but Actifed, which is now OTC and not too expensive, works just fine. I take 1/2 a tablet about every 4 hours. the only drag is that because it contains pseudoephedrine some people buy massive quantities & cook it down to make Meth, you now have to sign it out at the paharmacy & they keep track of how much you purchase. it's kind of a hassle.

FWIW I tried Claritin years ago & I was the one in the 1 in 30 men whose prostate swells up, pinching off your urethra and then you can't pee! your bladder fills up and it's not fun at all!!! they don't talk about it but it's a pretty common side effect. buyer beware.

fortunately the tree pollen only lasts a few weeks.

--al
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

perswig

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 07:37:21 PM »

now THAT'S why I logged onto NEClimbs today - Al's prostate  ;D.  Thanks for sharing!   Dale
If it's overhanging, I'm probably off-route.

punxnotdead

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 08:50:47 PM »

Allegra D seems to work well for me.  In addition, I use Flonase.  If you dont have insurance, then Clariton D works well along with Nasalcrom.

Dont let the sniffles get you down!
someone dropped a steamer in the gene pool

"climbing with a deep knowledge of what we are doing is what we all want to climb high and safe" Champoing

KTWilliams

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 11:14:47 PM »

I use a wonderful coctail of Singular, advair, Biaxin, and Bromfenex.  Fortunately i have known my doctor for a while and they stock up on the free samples for me and i get a season's supply for free.  If you had to pay for these im sure it would be costly, but i have never felt better on them.  Sometimes i have to skip on a couple since they just wipe me out too much, but the advair always helps and has no side effects really.  If you want i could probably get you a weeks supply if you want to give them a try (probably illegal in some way or another but...)  I would definately look into them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 23 queries.