Author Topic: Joe Cote appreciation thread  (Read 1562 times)

meclimber

Joe Cote appreciation thread
« on: May 09, 2006, 06:27:06 PM »
After getting humbled by Forests I have a whole new respect for this visionary climber.  Any similar experiences or favorite routes?

bag11s

Re: Joe Cote appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 10:47:18 PM »
Enjoying a bubbly beverage on the perfect belay perch @ the end of P1 of The Book is pretty special, something the old school would most likely appreciate.

meclimber

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 08:24:06 PM »
 mines of moria to the top, 1st pitch of mordor, pooh all classics with spice.  The guy was a madman.  Cakewalk at humphrey's.  Stilletto at Sundowndown easy but nervery at the grade.  Classics.

Offline krankonthis

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 09:10:38 PM »
meclimber you are such a dork!  but i have to say i love the free food joe's wife gives us. 

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 12:17:28 AM »
no one else other than Karen would bring a cake to the cliff! what great people.

--al
Al Hospers

meclimber

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 08:27:57 AM »
ditto on the sweets.  This is it, no more posts.  Maybe I should start an 'anchor bolt controvercy' or some other painfully lame thread, to get you to post up.   I thought that this might get some props out on the table for a guy who gave 40 + years of time to the local community.

Offline punxnotdead

• NEClimbs God
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 07:43:40 AM »
Man, they sure did climb hard back then.  Not to say that people dont climb hard now, but geesh, I cant imagine the feeling of being the first climber on one of those classic routes,  such bravado!!!!  I have put up many routes, some hard and some easy, but nothing compares to the quality of Joe's and other climbers of his era!!!  Most new routes just seem trivial in comparison. 
someone dropped a steamer in the gene pool

"climbing with a deep knowledge of what we are doing is what we all want to climb high and safe" Champoing

JenReed

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 08:54:01 AM »
I had the honor of climbing with Joe and Karen last summer. Not to mention leading the "Arch" pitch of Standard Route on Whitehorse with Joe's rack....nuts and Hexes galore! Along with hand tied webbing slings big.... oval biners, not a cam in the rack that's were the my admiration lies...big Kahuna's!
Karen took wonderful care of me with taste snacks along the way.....this experience with the Cote's  I will never forget.
 :)jen
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 08:59:22 AM by JenReed »

Offline krankonthis

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 04:11:01 PM »
john dont cry im just giving you shit. ;D
sam

meclimber

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 08:01:28 PM »
had a feeling  :)

skiseasun

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2006, 08:31:12 PM »
I had my first climbing experience on Standard Route at Whitehorse last fall. I had a wonderful guide and I met some great people that day. They all helped me replace my apprehension with a wonderful sense of humility and peace and a better understanding of what draws people to the rock. Sharing snacks on Lunch Ledge and looking down over my accomplishment is a moment I'll never forget. Thanks to Joe, Karen and Jen for sharing your passion and your patience ... and  to Jim for leading me up to places I'd never thought I'd climb!

leewee

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 06:55:12 PM »
joe and a friend of his came to the climbing gym i manage (vertical dreams) and when i found out who he was i talked his ear off about how much respect i had for the old school tough guys..i told him i wanted to be like him when i grew up (not in those words) and as i threw the compliments at him he only got more and more humble...nice guy...
he happened to have some of his wife's baking with him and he left me with enough goodies to give me plenty of respect for her as well...
thank you to the both of them...and also to the other dudes who hung it out on hard climbs before i was born
with nothing but nuts on their racks and big balls...