Author Topic: Mount Washington Observatory Fundraiser  (Read 715 times)

Offline Steve_W_from_BRG

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Mount Washington Observatory Fundraiser
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2006, 05:06:40 PM »
Come on guys, you've never driven up the Cathedral autoroad to do routes at the top of the crag.

Offline Sieve

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2006, 08:52:39 PM »
Tomcat. I admire your passion and love of the hills and I appreciated your response. Fair question about my allegiances and potential conflicts: For the record I am an AMC member, though far from avid - I think i send em $50/year. My dad and I use the CT section of the trail and have tried to be supportiuve of that chapter. (I'm also an AAC member and they want $70! But with them you get insurance and the library, so that's a great deal.) It's been years since I stayed at an AMC hut in the summer - I only use Zealand and Carter occasionally in the winter so I should probably spend some time around the huts in the summer to understand a bit better some of the abuses that you are speaking about. I stay away from them in the summer for reasons that I would gather are not dissimiliar from you and Dave.

Here are a few of my thoughts - and I think we might agree on these. Anyway, curious to hear your thoughts:

***Pinkham provides a good service without encroaching on the wilderness experience.(I can only imagine how many more dead day-hikers we would have without that place. Can't tell you how many time's I've heard "Washington's only 4.3 miles???")

***Highland Center is a travesty.  It sends the wrong message. It's out of place.

*** The AMC should abolish the "full-service" option that dominates the summer visitors to the huts. The concept of people paying $100/night to have someone cook a 3-course meal for them in the wilderness is distasteful, sends the wrong message about self-sufficiency in the mountains, teaches a poor lesson and is just plain silly.

*** The AMC should never have someone lecturing on the summit. You had me howlin' with the "bury the body" chatter. Summits are places for celebration, reflection and solitude, not some dude preaching about conservation. I was on the summit of Camel's Head in VT with my Dad a few weeks ag0 and we saw a party wandering off the boulders trampling the flowers and fragile alpine plantlife. We asked them to stay on the rocks (as the sign on the trail says!) and they apologized. We werent jerks about it. You dont need a full-time employee for that.

Still, I think the AMC raises an awareness of the mountains that inlfuences people's worldviews. And our society needs more of that. I envy your dedication to the mountains and that you committed your life to that. Most people cant or havent made that level of comittment. Instead they are weekenders. And we need more of them - to understand what we have, what you already knnow, what we are losing each day - and bring that back to their communities and into the voting booths. The AMC is not perfect but they do a lot of good in that regard.

Sieve

Tomcat

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2006, 08:33:07 AM »
Sieve,great response,kudos for civility too.The AAC is a great deal.I guess our opinions about the AMC are not so far apart,that's the lesson of the internet,it often polarizes people whose opinions are not really so different.

There's a road to the top of Cathedral? How come no one told me this?  ;)

Tom

Offline Dave

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2006, 09:35:31 AM »
1 f-16 carries enough armament to take out the auto road and all the other BS on mount Washinton along with the road up Cathedral and still leave the weather observatory standing if laser guided bombs are used.  The shock waves might also shake all the loose rock of the ledge at the base of last unicorn, an added benifit of the strike to climbers!  Can I call in the air strike?  ;D ;D

I agree, great response Seive. Our oppinions are really not that far apart. Dave

Offline Steve_W_from_BRG

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2006, 11:58:45 AM »
Dave, whats your point of all this para military bs?

Offline Dave

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2006, 01:42:24 PM »
Sarcasm, look it up in the dictionary Steve!

Offline leadgirl

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2006, 02:57:22 PM »
How nice, everyone kissed and made up.   ;)