Author Topic: united lost my bags... again!  (Read 850 times)

Offline om

• NEClimbs Full Member
united lost my bags... again!
« on: August 07, 2006, 12:44:23 AM »
Ok, so United lost our luggage AGAIN! It,s almost a rule - if I travel west I fly United and they loose our bags...

Couple fine hours spent at the baggage claim, nice dinner at the airport food court, and my 18 months old daughter is sleeping in the dirty pajamas she wore thought 3 airports. Needless to say, we will not get anywhere close to the rock tomorrow. I fell like biting someone!

Is there an airline that doesn't loose bags?
-om

epoch

Re: united lost my bags... again!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 08:01:22 AM »
RE:::::

Northwest.

I've flown them all over.  (See comment: All over = the US and international. (((Sub comment::: International = more than one vacation / business trip. )))) Sometimes it has been monthly, and they still haven't lost any luggage... (*Knock on wood*) I've had horrible expierences with United, AA, and SW Airlines and luggage. Most notably United, when they once lost my baggage to ROME!! That trip was from Tokyo to Reno, Nv. How my luggage ended up in Rome, I have no friggin clue. But two days after I had arrived, my bags finally caught up with me, stamped with FCO (Leonardo da Vinci - Fiumicino airport) on the tags? ???

I travel super-ultralight when I can nowdays. It saves me the hassel of checking in luggage and dealing with yet another airport inconvience.

Offline om

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 12:56:00 PM »
Northwest it is from now on then...

We finally got our bags at midnight despite 5 different flights that arrived from Denver before that. Turns out, there is United and then there is United Shuttle. Apparently these two organizations have difficulty communicating and if you had connection from one to another (which by the way you can't know when you purchasing) there is a huge probability your bags will not make it. And once they didn't make it first time there is absolutely no way for them to be put on the next United Shuttle flight - they will have to wait for the actual United flight to be brought over.
-om

Jim_Ewing

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 08:55:03 PM »
I fly Northwest a lot for international because they often have the best fares.  However, I've had more trouble with them than any other airline.  Lost luggage, late flights, canceled flights, even had one that had to circle around dumping fuel before attempting to land without crashing in Amsterdam.  Of course I have had United lose luggage as well.  One tip: avoid London Heathrow.  I've had to ride shuttles from one terminal to another which go by a lot of the baggage conveyors and I always see luggage all mashed up laying around that looks as though it's been there for years.

epoch

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 07:10:16 AM »
In response to the recent situation at NW, and the increased list of things not allowed on flights I'd say that it is a craps shoot to find an airline that will handle your baggage well and not loose it. *sigh* I'm starting to dread this travel thing...

redpoint73

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 02:11:30 PM »
Every airliine loses bags.  Thousands of pieces of baggage are handled by mutiple humans, which leads to multiple possibilities of human error.

Not a lot you can do about it, especially now that you are forced to check more stuff with the liquid ban.

Try to minimize connections, as every time the bags are handled, its another opportunity for them to make a mistake.

When you check you bags, look at the receipts BEFORE you leave the check-in counter to make sure they are right.  One time my wife had bags lost because the worker at the counter accidentally swapped luggage tags with someone else who was on a different flight.  If we had looked at her receipts, we would have realized it.

Put a business card or something INSIDE the luggage with your contact info.  The luggage tags can easily get torn off, and then you will never get your bags back if they can't identify them.

If you are travelling with climbing gear, consider travel or renters/homeowners insurance if you don't have it already.  The airline is only responsible for $1000 worth of loss or damage or something like that.  Not nearly enough if they lose your rack, draws, rapes, ice gear, etc.

Aside from that, just crossing your fingers is about all you can do.