Author Topic: 360 acres next to Owls Head for sale  (Read 981 times)

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
360 acres next to Owls Head for sale
« on: August 11, 2006, 10:44:32 PM »
for a mere $750,000 you too can live right next to a beautiful granite cliff!

http://www.beangroup.com/real_estate/listings/Land/NH/Benton/498358

I rode by there on a bike ride on Wednesday & I must say it is a pretty darn nice chunk of property. it's actually a pretty nice area too. property taxes are unbelievably low at only $629!

--al
Al Hospers

DWarriner

Re: 360 acres next to Owls Head for sale
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 10:12:29 AM »
Put me in for 5 acres.

Mike_B

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 11:17:06 AM »
Looks awesome...Now where did I leave that extra 3/4 million I had laying around?

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 11:30:23 AM »
you know, this is the kind of thing that the AAC or Access Fund should buy. guaranteed access to a great climbing area that is fairly undeveloped. anyone got any contacts at either of those organizations?

--al
Al Hospers

Luce11

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 12:10:51 PM »
I saw that the other day too...3/4 of a million?!!?  That is a little more than I can afford on my teachers salary!  I was thinking about calling the agent and telling them that I wanted to walk the property lines though!

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 01:53:15 PM »
on the link there is a map with the land marked out. pretty big chunk aye? when I was there I could hear a lot of logging going on back in there. not sure if it was on the property, but maybe. it ain't worth 750k, but it is likely worth a couple hundred k, especially since it's bounded by the forest..

--al

Al Hospers

Luce11

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 02:16:00 PM »
There is some cutting going on the eastern side of the property from what I have seen.  It almost looks like they are putting a driveway in and maybe even clearing a spot for a house.  I am not totally sure on that mind you but that is what it looks like to me.  It would be awesome to buy it and see if the Access Fund would buy a chunk of it back from you and deal with the issues of the cliff.  I have only been out to the cliff once and it is a beautiful spot! 

epoch

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 04:13:22 PM »
Damnit! I misplaced that $750,000 I had lying around.  :D

Seriously, though. If I had the investment capitol to do it, and hadn't reciently purchased a place here in Maine. I might have been willing to split it with about a dozen or so people...

Could something possibley be worked out similar to the deal that happened with Laurel Knob in N. Carolina? Where it may be pooled in and purchased by the community as a whole and in turn, preserved; handed over to the USFS or another organization for management?? Seems like the sale of this may present a possible access issue???

Steve_W_from_BRG

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 12:41:48 PM »
I think I'll buy it and put up a NO TRESPASSING-VIOLATORS WILL BE SHOT ON SIGHT!!! sign.

Tobias

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 06:33:05 PM »
"This is the kind of thing that the AAC or Access Fund should buy. guaranteed access to a great climbing area that is fairly undeveloped. anyone got any contacts at either of those organizations?"

The Access Fund can certainly hep out as a logistic resource and some funding help, but for project like this to get any traction there has to be local dedication to making the project work.  Rumney, Laurel Knob, Ragged Mountain- the AF helped greatly on on all of those projects, but it was the locals who identified the potetnial opportunity, got it going and did a lot of the work.  As far as contacts at the Access Fund, you could contact Deanne Buck- Grassroots Coordinator or Rick Thompson of the Access Fund's land acquisition program.

Since this parcel appears to be bordered all three sides by WMNF, perhaps this could go similar to Rumney, where Access Fund helps with interim purchase of the land that could ultimately be transferred to / managed by WMNF.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 11:19:28 PM »
there is action on this front. check out this week's Report. I just got an interesting email from a group that is working to preserve this parcel.

--al
Al Hospers