NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannon  (Read 197 times)

dogboy

• NEClimbs God
  • What?
Cannon
« on: October 23, 2001, 09:17:50 AM »

See here's my sad little tale...my girlfriend, a friend of ours, and myself went to Cannon last weekend to climb there for the first time.  We had done a lot of climbing this season, were feeling very strong and confident, and were excited to do Whitney Gilman.  We got a late start on Saturday, but found a great campsite in the National Forest, set up camp, and proceeded to head out to bag some of the smaller climbs at echo crag.

The First snag came when my girtlfriend forgot the guidebook back at the tent.  In my hurry to get back to the tent and get climbing, I rushed up the rocky and rooty trail and caused the tendonitis in my knee to flare up.  Disappointed but still relatively confident, I returned to the car guidebook in hand and we headded up to Echo.

Getting out at the parking lot, we spotted several climbers on the cliff, and were excited to get going.  Just then, my girlfriend turned around and, tapping me on the shoulder, pointed out the huge cloud bank boiling up over Cannon.  5 minutes later we were being rained on, and a minute after that we were being pelted by hail.  Needless to say, we didn't get any climbing in (although we felt lucky not to be trapped up oin the cliff in the hail!).

Sunday started out well, with a great camp breakfast and good weather.  My knee felt better, and, although we got a late start, things looked good.  The first blow came when we became confused over the guidebook's directions on where to park.  We ended up parking at the tramway's parking lot, which almost doubled the distance we had to hike to get to the WG approach trail.  By the time we did get to the trail head, my knee hurt again, the sky had clouded up, it was 12:30, and it was cold.  My girlfriend, being the voice of reason, called for a reassesment of our plans, which led eventually to the wise decision to back off (particulalry wise given the fact that it starting pouring in the notch around 3:30).  As we wallked away and back to the car our friend, a very experienced climber, sighed and said that, in his experience, it always takes three attempts to make it to and finish any big climb...one down, two to go.
Everybody wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die.

Russian_Alpinist

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • Ludshe gor mogut byt' tol'ko gori na kotoryh ne kto ne bylal Å¡ ~Vladimir Vysotsky
Re: Cannon
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2001, 01:25:34 PM »

sorry you guys didn't make it.

But hey, that's part of climbing eh...

Happened to me many times...and some of these were among the more memorable experiences.
~Russian Alpinist

Flash

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 01:29:29 PM »

Can you tell me where to park to do Whitney gilman?

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2003, 02:23:14 PM »

park in the normal lot. walk south on the bike trail until you see a carin on the right. last time I was there it was hard to see. follow that trail up and onto the talus field. continue up to the climb.

al
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 23 queries.