Author Topic: huntinton or Cannon  (Read 181 times)

Matt

huntinton or Cannon
« on: April 14, 2003, 11:55:34 AM »
Any info on conditions of CAnnon?   Dry yet?  How about the Pinnacle rock climb--still snow covered????? Any info would be a great help--thanks

Offline JAY

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: huntinton or Cannon
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2003, 12:27:46 PM »
You got a while before you can climb at either of those places. This time of the year is the worst at either of those places, at night things are still freezing and in the day thawing. This means a lot of rockfall. Just last saturday there was an avanlanche on the talus field below Cannon. And a couple weeks ago people where climbing ice in Huntington. Better off to go climb at cathedral or whitehorse.
Jay

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003, 03:10:39 PM »
I'm with Jay on this one. those places are wicked dangerous right now. there are plenty of dry places to climb where you don't have to worry 'bout rock fallin' on your punkin head. <grin>

Al
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Offline wiregate

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2003, 04:39:39 PM »
The flatiron area in Franconia Notch has been climbed since early March by some locals.  Some routes are in the Sykes guide.  Nice and sunny up there.  Check it out.

Bryan

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2003, 05:57:02 PM »
When is Cannon generally safe to climb?  I remember climbing Moby Grape in early june.  Is it ready to go before that?
 What about the conditions at Echo crag?  
Bryan

orion

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2003, 01:43:50 PM »
I was up on cannon about two weeks ago.  whitney gilman is clean and dry but everything else was either wet or snowy.

the approach, up until the talus, was very snowy and wet.  stupidly i went it with tennis shoes...cold cold cold.  

i'd be prepared for a little snow on the approach just in case.

i know that standard on white horse is climbable but seriously doubt that huntington is...