Author Topic: Photo Contest  (Read 2129 times)

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Photo Contest
« on: September 18, 2006, 12:43:24 PM »
Our Mammut/NEClimbs photo contest is now in full swing. We now have 45 shots in the photo gallery. There is some really nice work there. I am very happy with the quality and variety of the images. The judges are going to have a really hard time making their call. If you haven't looked at them you really should check 'em out.

If you are going to submit your pics, here are a couple of reminders:

1) Send each image SEPARATELY via email to photocontest@neclimbs.com

2) Pictures MUST be in the standard JPEG (.jpg) image format.

3) We would prefer that pictures are no wider than 600 pixels. Images wider than this will likely be resized accordingly. If you know how to do this yourself, please do so. It will save me a LOT of extra work.

4) If you want a special watermark on your image please add it yourself.

5) Name your image files in the following format YourName_ImageName.jpg. Like this -

FredJones_PolarCircus.jpg

7) Be sure to include the photographer's name, climber's name and route infomration in your email. Like this -

Juanita Jones on the Pencil Pitch of Polar Circus, Icefields Parkway, Canada
 Photographer: FredJones

6) Please do NOT use spaces or additional periods in the file name! This makes it a lot easier for us to process and keep track of them.

Just doing these things will really cut down on the amount of time required to put up the images.

Thanks,

--al
Al Hospers

DLottmann

Re: Photo Contest
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 02:34:37 PM »
So when will the winner be annouced?

There are photo contests everywhere, and I was thinking, why not make this one special by only allowing shots of New England climbing?  This is NEClimbs right?  I think there are plenty of subjects to keep the entries coming.

Also maybe a 3 shot/month limit per person.... unloading your whole folder of pics seems.... unsportsmanlike?

Dave

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 07:37:57 AM »
I,ve submitted numerous photos to some of the biggest names in climbing, and got a lot of them turned down.

Sounds like a sore loser Al.

Tomcat

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 09:03:45 AM »
1) I think it's an amateur photo contest.

2) Dave has posted his full name here several times.

TheHammer

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 09:16:58 AM »
I am retracting my previous submissions.  It is as futile to try to help this site, as it is to try to remedy the bolting issue in North Conway.  Al, you're really doing the community a disservice by representing it with such a lack of professionalism and open mindedness to change.  Al, when this site becomes a real community forum, I'll start visiting it again.  But while it is "Al's Club of Buddies", I'm gone.
Thanks for your time!

Jim_Ewing

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 10:32:14 AM »
TheHammer,
I think in order to keep this a real community forum it needs participation from people such as yourself.  I think you should put your post back up.
For what it's worth, you're not the only one that felt what you expressed in the post you deleted.  The judges will not be more discerning if you don't give feedback.
I know I'm going out on a limb here and will likely ruffle some feathers but hey I'm just one person with one opinion and I most certainly could be wrong since I'm no expert.  I leave the judgement to the judges in any case.

Dave

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 10:44:58 AM »

Al, you're really doing the community a disservice by representing it with such a lack of professionalism and open mindedness to change. Al, when this site becomes a real community forum, I'll start visiting it again. But while it is "Al's Club of Buddies", I'm gone.

Jim, It wasn't his oppinion that bothered me. It was his attitude that went with it! I think his second post demonstrates the same attitude. "Al's club of buddies" Like most people who post here I wouldn't know Al if I tripped over him! I have talked to him over the phone once concerning a controversial issue and found him to be very open to other oppiniions. Dave R.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 10:47:35 AM »
I am retracting my previous submissions.  It is as futile to try to help this site, as it is to try to remedy the bolting issue in North Conway.  Al, you're really doing the community a disservice by representing it with such a lack of professionalism and open mindedness to change.  Al, when this site becomes a real community forum, I'll start visiting it again.  But while it is "Al's Club of Buddies", I'm gone.
Thanks for your time!

1) "previous submissions..." - I don't know which they are as I don't know The Hammer and the profile doesn't have a name associuate with it?

2) "lack of professionalism" - I don't know what this means as they don't name any specifics. point to something that I can understand and I will most certainly try & remedy it.

3) "open mindedness to change" - maybe I'm wrong but I really feel as if I am pretty open to change for an old man. where am I not?

4) "Al's Club of Buddies" - WOW, now that really does get to me. is Hammer talking about the contest? if so there were 3 judges - Tradman, Eric Siefer and me. I most certainly didn't make the final decision. if Hammer , whoever they are, didn't win I'm sorry. The winners were MOST CERTAINLY NOT my "buddies".

By way of full disclosure

1) I know Dave Lottmann and Jim Frati who live in the area. I have climbed with Dave exactly once 4 years ago and Jim twice over the past 2 years. I don't know Kevin or Bertrand, altho I do know a friend of Bertrand's, Larry Boehmler. I knew Dave Gougen peripherally 15 years ago when I lived in Boston and we both climbed at Crow Hill. I don't think I've actually seen him in 8-10 years.

2) I hardly have a "Club of Buddies" as it relates to the site or to pretty much anything other than my family. I am in many ways a loner person who just has some people that I know here and there in the climbing and music communities. I find this comment to be the most disturbing of the bunch. I don't now what to say other than Hammer really misreads things.

If anyone who visits the site or who participates in the Photo Contest feels that the site or contest is unfair or slanted toward any person or group of people, that is most assuredly NOT the case. I don't know how to prove that but it is true.

--al

Al Hospers

Dave

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 11:10:16 AM »
Also Jim, If you are going to make accusations like "Hammer" did you should be man enough to put your name to it. Just my oppinion. Dave R.

Offline Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 11:18:36 AM »
For what it's worth, you're not the only one that felt what you expressed in the post you deleted.  The judges will not be more discerning if you don't give feedback.

if people aren't happy with the decision of the judges, they they need to let the judges know. as in any contest someone wins and someone looses. the 3 judges communicated back & forth a lot as we were attempting to make a decision. maybe it was the right one, maybe not.

--al
Al Hospers

Broken_Spectre

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 11:24:53 AM »
I thought the contest decision was fine.  It's open to anyone including amateurs like myself and it should stay that way.  There are some amazing photographers out there who should certainly submit their stuff as well, but I think it's cool that anyone can enter.  Judging is always subjective so get over it.  I can see Jim's and Hammer's point about aesthetics in the juding portion of the contest, but that shouldn't be used as criteria for not permitting an entry.   

Broken_Spectre

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 11:27:16 AM »
Also, if you are referring to the buttshot of the dude on Fantasma, I think that shot was one of the best buttshots I've seen in a while.  A great shot in my opinion.  Made me want to drive up to ontario just to send that route.
 ;)

Offline tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 11:53:29 AM »
Interestingly enough I believe that 3 of us chose the WG shot for first place without any communication. I thought that was pretty definative. the major discussion was over the 2nd and third place finishes. If anyone is wondering why i did not choose their photo pm me and i will be glad to do critique.  Allthough i do not make my liveing from Climbing photography I am a full time working pro photographer which is why I disqualified myself from the contest and offered to help judge.

Jim_Ewing

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 12:54:14 PM »

Jim, It wasn't his oppinion that bothered me. It was his attitude that went with it! I think his second post demonstrates the same attitude. "Al's club of buddies" Like most people who post here I wouldn't know Al if I tripped over him! I have talked to him over the phone once concerning a controversial issue and found him to be very open to other oppiniions. Dave R.

I totally agree with you, Dave.  I didn't like the antagonistic tone of the first post.  I really think people aught to put their names to posts, particularly when being critical.  I think it shows a bit more integrity.
TheHammer certainly could have phrased his opinion with more diplomacy and tact and therefore would have been taken more seriously.
I myself feel I have to be even more diplomatic than most in what I say since most people here know that I work for Sterling.  It wouldn't be fair to my co-workers and employer for me to piss people off and potentially turn them off to Sterling products.

Personally I didn't much like the winning photos as much as some of the others but as I said, 'I'm no expert', in fact I'm far from it.  One man, one opinion.

As for the value of this site, I like it.  I live far away from the bulk of the climbing community and don't get to climb as often as I'd like or even just hang out with other climbers.  This site is provides me with slight virtual connection, as corny as it may sound.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 12:56:15 PM by Jim_Ewing »

climbhigh

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 09:59:34 PM »
WOW, what is going on here? I have not looked in here for a couple of days and can not understand or am not following what went on, tough to do with things being deleted. It amazes me how a minority of people can ruin it for the majority. For one I commend your spirit and effort that you put into the site Al, I hope you take this to heart, focus on the positive input and disregard the negitive input,  be true to yourself. You know why you are doing this and the squeeky wheel does not always need to get the grease.
So about Al's club of Buddies, how do you get into it ;D I also thought you liked me more Al than to give me a third place, what's with that??? :'( ::) Keep up the good work Al.
Also to the other judges thanks for your time and energy, I'm sure there are many more people who appreciate your work. Jim Frati