NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: They Died...but not laughing  (Read 1793 times)

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: They Died...but not laughing
« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2006, 08:03:22 PM »

This was certainly not the way to maintain peaceful coexistence.

with all due respect...what Dale did was not the way to maintain peaceful coexistance!

--al
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

SCUD

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2006, 10:16:36 PM »

Dale's act did not help to maintain a peaceful coexistence. What the Park Ranger did was even worse.
"Going to the mountains is going home." -John Muir

climbhigh

• NEClimbs Junior Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #137 on: November 18, 2006, 10:47:54 PM »

I would have to strongly disagree that Eric's actions were worse than Dale's in maintaining a peaceful coexistence. If a person does something as Dale did against what rule was established, no further bolting or chopping, then that person should be held accountable. I am hoping that Eric's actions will send a clear message to others that damage to the rock can not be tolerated. If Eric is consistant in his actions then why would the message not be heard. Jim

johnytrad

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2006, 09:51:07 AM »

I am hoping that Dale's actions send a clear message to others that adding bolts to EXISTING routes that never had them is damaging the rock and will not be tolerated. If people are consistant in their actions then why would the message not be heard.

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #139 on: November 19, 2006, 10:44:46 AM »

adding bolts to EXISTING routes that never had them is damaging the rock and will not be tolerated.

1) so in what way is what Dale did NOT damaging the rock MORE than the anchors?

2) to my memory there was a very clear agreement that the bolt anchors at the top of Child's Play and the anchors above They Died Laughing were to be allowed and left alone.

--al
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 04:16:21 PM by Admin Al »
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

tradmanclimbz

• NEClimbs God
  • Nick Goldsmith
« Reply #140 on: November 19, 2006, 11:22:54 AM »

Another interesting note is that Bayard one of the past choppers is putting up new rts with bolts and recently reported a new rt with a bolted anchor on cathedral. The hypocricy of most bolt choppers never ceses to amaze me ::)

dominic7

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #141 on: November 19, 2006, 01:46:17 PM »

So the question still remains, who will replace the bolts that were removed and when? When the bolts were removed from Thin Air people pissed and moaned but they never got replaced. Certainly the folks doing the bolt removal are very motivated and committed to what they think is right. I guess I'm wondering if the same thing is true of the people on the other side of the argument. Or are we in a situation where the tyranny of the radical few will define the reality of the situation?

T_Moon

• NEClimbs Senior Member
« Reply #142 on: November 19, 2006, 07:31:16 PM »

Or are we in a situation where the tyranny of the radical few will define the reality of the situation?

I think that is a good description of the current situation.  >:( 

That is how it will stay until the "radical few" are willing to come to terms with the larger climbing community or the landowner (NH Parks) steps in and makes some binding rules --- in which case the cure would probably be worse than the problem.
If you want to get to the peak, you ought to climb without giving it too much thought.

--Nietzsche

bag11s

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #143 on: November 19, 2006, 11:25:49 PM »

This thread is the most redundant, pissy, stoopid, petty, brainless, and boring work of collected drivel I have ever been dim witted enough to wade through. The only logical conclusion one can draw from all this horseshit is that the entire two month dialogue is actually a work of cynical cleverness written by a union of scheming and industrious munchkins all working mightily to convince non-locals never to climb in North Conway, so that you can have it all to your short statured selves.

If that is the case, I,d say you,ve achieved unqualified success.

If, on the other hand, central casting hasn,t coordinated this whole thing, then shame on you all. Surely some of you must have reflected on how all that vented heat from under the collar has boiled away any original sense you may have had in your assorted diminutive noggins.

Fortunately, within a smidgeon of geologic time, the entire crag will be modified by natural erosion processes, in such a way that future generations will no longer be able to use it as a climbing resource. At least some kind of peace may be able to reign in that happy future.

oldsock

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #144 on: November 21, 2006, 08:43:43 AM »

my experience over the last 30+ years has been that the climbers in the mwv are a friendly and opinionated bunch. many are dedicated to preserving the climbs as they were originally done.new routes are another story.
most of the drivel and nastiness i've seen has been here in cyberspace not in the community. 
SCUD is on track re why dale was helped out .

slobmonster

• NEClimbs Senior Member
  • Eschew obfuscatory polysyllabicati on
« Reply #145 on: November 21, 2006, 01:22:05 PM »

Dale's act did not help to maintain a peaceful coexistence. What the Park Ranger did was even worse.
You know, you can't have it both ways.  Given that this "community" is so flexible as to ignore its mandates, it's not a surprise --to me, at least-- that the one person charged --in his job description-- wth preservation of Cathedral Ledge has stepped in, and potentially kicked the bureaucratic ball down the hill. 

Did any of you really think the gov'mnt would (or could) ignore this absurdity forever?  "They" really do wait till it's clear that the community can't take care of itself. 

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 22 queries.