Author Topic: total newb please read my story....  (Read 407 times)

Offline reba

• NEClimbs Newbie
total newb please read my story....
« on: October 06, 2006, 09:44:51 AM »
Whats up... I just recently started dating a guy in Nevada who right at this moment is climbing El Cap for the sixth time.  Not sure why he's dating me other than the fact that I am a hiker but he thinks that I am interested in climbing, which I am, but I basically have no experience, other than a couple hours in the climbing gym in CT.

I live in CT and I am looking to hopefully get some better experience and possibly find a partner who might want to deal with me and get me going.  I am pretty broke right now but I am trying to gather up some money for climbing shoes.  I know I need a partner for ropping, if I don't find one might just boulder for now.

If anyone has suggestions or advice or whatever please let me know.

THANKS!
Rebecca

Offline reba

• NEClimbs Newbie
Re: total newb please read my story....
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 10:37:25 AM »
It's me again, forgot to add this info......

Where do you want to climb?  NEClimbs members are from all over New England.  ----------  CT

What type of climbing do you want to do?  Bouldering session?  Top-roping?  Multi-pitch trad?  Sport?  -----    Anything

What level do you lead?-----  Beginner.

Experience?------   Total Newb

Have a rack?  Rope?  Car? ----   NO

How do you want to be contacted? ---  Please reply to post?

Offline sandbagged

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • No way that's a 5.9
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 11:07:16 AM »
There's a good gym in Manchester, CT. Is that close to you? Go take a class there and you can probably get pretty decent in 3 months or so assuming you are in shape to start with. Start doing your pullups! But most people will tell you that the two most important skills in rock climbing are balance and flexibility - strength is #3 (you climb with your feet - especially on real rock).  But you'll need all 3 and more to follow your boyfriemd from the sound of it.
Aaron

BSFN

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 05:27:51 PM »
iNot sure why he's dating me other than the fact that I am a hiker but he thinks that I am interested in climbing, which I am,

Well, i would hope it is because he likes you, as a person!!

Does not solve the immediate issus but check with the local Appalachian Mountain Club chapter, maybe they have a rock program. There is one in Boston in the spring, it is not very expensive. Lots of people take it.

In another month or two it will probably be too cold (with any luck ;D) to go rock climbing anyway.

Offline redpoint73

• NEClimbs Full Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 10:13:39 AM »
Whats up... I just recently started dating a guy in Nevada who right at this moment is climbing El Cap for the sixth time.  Not sure why he's dating me other than the fact that I am a hiker but he thinks that I am interested in climbing, which I am, but I basically have no experience, other than a couple hours in the climbing gym in CT.

Maybe he thinks you're hot.