NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: blue water ropes  (Read 202 times)

ccclimber

• NEClimbs Junior Member
blue water ropes
« on: April 21, 2003, 12:59:34 PM »

never owned one  but need to replace my doubles and was wondering how dry they stayed...hate to switch brands but the 70m length  would be a plus...appreciate any info from someone whos used em...thanks
Ed

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
Re: blue water ropes
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2003, 05:45:21 PM »

dunno much about Blue Water ropes these days. haven't owned any in over 6 years, tho I liked them then. I have a pair of new Sterling 60 m doubles that I really liked this winter. don't they make them in 70 m?

Al
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

ccclimber

• NEClimbs Junior Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 02:43:09 AM »

sterling is not an option...about 5 years ago i got a sterling 10.2 dry rope on sale during the ice festival...tried it out the next day and it imediately became a sponge, swelled to about 13mm then froze almost solid...took it back to the shop where i bought it and they said they could do nothing...tried contacting sterling  several time and received no response..so i don't patronize the shop or sterling...it did work pretty well for my neighbors tire swing
Ed

Sir_mix_allot

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2003, 06:49:17 AM »

I love my BW rope and slings they stay very dry even after a rappel over a puddle of water I will buy one more set when those are gone  :)

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2003, 10:28:52 AM »

I use Sterling Ropes primarily and never have had a single problem. You can get them in 70meter length. Blue Water makes a fine rope too and I used them for years. I think the American rope companies have an edge over their European mates when it comes to waterproofing that lasts.  

Jeff

• NEClimbs God
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2003, 08:52:03 AM »

I've used both Sterling and Bluewater ropes for years and have been very satisfied with both. I've found that NO rope remains waterproof indefinitely but these two brands have been as good as any. I'm currently using a pair of Sterling 8.8mm in 60m length and I'm very happy. I was surprised by the poster who had a negative experience with Sterling re: replacement of a waterlogged rope. My experience, more than 10 years ago was an immediate replacement at no shipping cost of a 10.5mm rope which had a slight manufacturing defect (sheath tension had been set too tight, causing bunching). I have other friends who have also had very good customer satisfaction with this company and with Bluewater as well. It has kept me "buying American."  Jeff

Brrr

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2003, 11:17:04 AM »

I have a sterling 8.8 setup, they stay as dry as any other "dry" ropes I've had...  I also have a sterling 10.0 single and it is a fine rope as well.  

Mmmmm - There's nothing like a face full of DWR spray the first couple times you rap on a new dry rope that has seen some water.  (Tastes terrible too!)

To me, a 70m rope means another 30 feet of rap tangles, extra weight and placing extra gear OR longer runouts.  Not to mention the communication factor...  but then again I am not particularily "light" or "fast" or "extreme" for that matter so what do I know...  :-)

Plus, the factory is in the next town over from me here in maine - buying local products - excellent!  
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 22 queries.