NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Climber  (Read 134 times)

imploded

• NEClimbs Newbie
New Climber
« on: October 11, 2006, 07:17:34 PM »

Same old story - a friend nags me for years to come to the climbing gym with him, and finally I relented this past weekend.  I was stupid - we bouldered for 3 hours and I'm freakishly hooked.   

So, the question.  As a newbie, is it worth it to take a top roping class at the gym, and find a partner / pay a belayer, or go solo and boulder?  I figure doing both is key, because there are routes that I've seen others climb my whole life (my family is from Acadia) that now I want to climb, but I'd be hitting the gym solo most of the time (no friends who climb except this guy, who lives in bleeping Tokyo). My gym will be Carabiners, which is just under 45 minutes from my house.

Cheers,

-Andrew
Remember kids, last one dead is a sissy

climber57r

Re: New Climber
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 07:43:11 PM »

???...  :-\... if you have to question it. Go a few more times to the gym and rent gear and boulder around. Bouldering is a great activity to meet partners and build your strength but it may build it wrong...so I definately suggest getting on the rope and climbing. A good partner or trainer will tell you your weak areas...take them as a tip and go from there...every gym I have been to someone is always available to certify you for belaying and show you what you need to get going. Enjoy the climbing.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 07:49:48 PM by climber57r »

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 08:43:19 PM »

if you live up in Acadia you are in a perfect place to do lots of climbing at all levels, when it's not winter of course! <grin> I would seriously consider hooking up with a guide up there & taking a lesson or 2. that would get you off on the right track & you could go from there. there are a couple of guide services up there:

Jeff Butterfield has posted here. His school is:
     http://www.acadiaclimbing.com/

there is also:
     http://www.acadiamountainguides.com

I don't know them, but they have been around a long time. ask if they have some group lessons as that would be cheaper. check them both out & just get out there & climb.

--al
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

DLottmann

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 09:34:12 PM »

Also read man.  Knowledge is power.  How to Rock Climb by John Long covers the basics, Freedom of the Hills by the Mountaineers is a great reference, though it covers more than just rock climbing.  Reading one of those before paying for a lesson may greatly increase your learning curve.  There is a ton of info out there and some is outdated.  Finding a mentor who has been climbing many years, or hiring a guide, can really help you weed out some of the junk, and help you learn concepts, rather than "rules".  The gym employees who give "top rope classes" vary in certification, experience (both teaching and climbing), and style from teenage kids who learned yesterday to highly certified professionals.  If the class is cheap, like 20 bones, you don't have much to loose.  If you are dropping a bill or two look for AMGA (American Mountain Guide Association) guides or one of the few senior guides out there that didn't go the AMGA route.  Next rock season the EMS Climbing School will be offering many outdoor group lessons in the MA.  Oh, and never PAY a belayer... I can imagine someone just like you at that gym paying someone next to you to belay them while you pay someone else to belay you.  Later down the road it is customary to "thank" a mentor who took you climbing with an apres beer or two... provided you are of age.

Welcome to your new addiction.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.