NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: traverse tips  (Read 115 times)

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
traverse tips
« on: May 02, 2003, 07:07:21 AM »

i'm sure that folks who have done traverses in the past have some tips that make things go a LOT better. I'd like to collect some here, for later posting in the Report or in an article. here's a couple that I've picked up from this trip:

1 - always line your pack with heavy duty black plastic garbage bags. use a separate one for your sleeping bag, especially if it's in a separate compartment. (this really isn't a traverse tip per se, but it was very useful nonetheless.)

2 - there is an unadvertised refuge room that is always open at the Lake of the Clouds hut. although it is cold, there's ice on the floor in the winter and there are mice that will nibble thru stuff it is wicked better than being outside in a bad storm.
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

mickymac1

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: traverse tips
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2003, 12:25:01 PM »

Here's a start if you're going to do it in winter. Read Chauvins Presi Traverse guide on Gear, Cooking, Clothing, etc.... Here is the link.

http://www.chauvinguides.com/presitraverse/presiguide.htm

DWarriner

• NEClimbs God
  • - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Re: traverse tips
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2003, 08:34:30 PM »

The emergency shelter is unadvertised for a reason.  It is very small (sleeps 6) and if people start assuming that it will be available, it will fill up and not be available for emergencies.  Do not count on having this as an option.  This is particularly true on popular traverse dates such as Presidents Day Weekend and Martin Luther King Weekend.  This is not as much of an issue if you go in off season - like April.

If you are doing a traverse and are pushing your limits and expect to get to it late on a Saturday night in Jan/Feb/March and find it empty, you may be very disappointed.

This might not be an issue if the weather isn't severe and you have a tent/bivy sack.  This very well could be an issue if you don't have a back up plan or you use up your reserves in severe weather and find yourself in the unfortunate situation of having it be after dark in sub zero temps with winds blowing over 100 MPH and now you have to try to set up a tent.

Also, I'm pretty sure if the rangers find out that's what your planning they'll give you a hard time

-David
There are no stupid questions - only stupid answers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 23 queries.