NEClimbs.com forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Reading the forum on your cell phone? There's an easier way. We've enabled a Tapatalk app that makes browsing the forum a whole lot easier. Check it out in the iPhone or Android store if you don't own it already.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Man comes down from the mountain  (Read 271 times)

Brrr

Old Man comes down from the mountain
« on: May 03, 2003, 10:00:31 AM »

ccclimber

• NEClimbs Junior Member
:'(Re: Old Man comes down from the mountain
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2003, 11:40:21 AM »

it is a sad day :'(
Ed

Michael Foot

Re: Old Man comes down from the mountain
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2003, 04:31:13 PM »

Truly a sad day.

Does anyone know what effect this will have on routes below the face (Lakeview, Weissner's Dike, etc.).

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2003, 05:15:48 PM »

I was listening to NHNPR when I heard. I was really surprised. then I saw some pictures on Channel 9. it's pretty amazing. the whole damn thing is gone. basically the Old Man is between Consolation Prize on the left and Lakeview on the right. both of them finish up first on the ledge, and then up just left of the Old Man up the Au Cheval and up that corner. I would imagine that there has definitely been some damage to one or both of those climbs. there are also about a dozen climbs between the two, including Condescender and Slip Of Fools, and I can't imagine that they have all escaped. believe me, this is a MAJOR rockfall on Canon. fact the second in under 4 years.

it is important to remember whenever you climb there that Canon is an active and constantly exfoliating cliff. stuff is always coming off it. it blows me away when I see folks climbing there without helmuts.

Al  
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

Erik N

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2003, 05:23:06 AM »

I just heard on the news that Gov. Benson is starting a revitalization budget.  Tell me they are not going to rebuild the Old Man!  If they are going to do anything it should be to clean up the all the trash (cables. concrete, epoxy, buckets etc.) that the crews have left up there.  I climbed Lakeview years ago and found a five gallon plastic bucket on the route!
  The OLd Man was a natural wonder. However, we shouldn't be all that surprised the pile of rocks came down.  If they do rebuild it do you you think they could put Whaleback Crack back up?  I never had a chance to climb it.

John Bartlett

• NEClimbs Newbie
  • life is a journey not a destination...
    • JB's Yahoo Profile and photos
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2003, 06:21:20 AM »

I was sitting in awe as well as I watched and heard Gov. Benson actually mention the possibilities of reclamation or rebuilding. The old man has represented many things to me in my life time. It's beauty and awe a sense of encouragement and wonder. I remember my frist viewing of it when I was around 7 or 8, long before the supper highway that now splits the notch. Things sure have changed since that first view for me and I have done many things in view of the old man. Yes I'm saddened that it will no longer look down on the valley.

To recreate such a wonder would to me be a falseness that only serves the commercial aspects of the park. It would also undermine the lessons that life changes and we must move with the change.

This is off the topic of climbing, but relates to the world of climbers and all we have seen in the years since climbing started in the north east. I'm hoping that there are activists geologist groups of people that are conserned for nautural wonders, their peservation and the natural way they live and die organized enough to know to let the old man rest in peices

I'm righting to Gov. Benson this morning I'd encourage you to and express your opinion.

JB
New disturbing study shows that studies are disturbing.

John Bartlett

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2003, 06:41:50 AM »

He is a link to contact Gov. Benson if you would like

http://www.state.nh.us/governor/contact.html

Oh and sorry for the spelling, I was emotional. I spell checked the e-mail I sent to the gov.

JB

Admin Al

• NEClimbs Administrator
  • NEClimbs God
  • Climb 'till your forearms turn to jelly!
    • NEClimbs
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2003, 09:08:16 AM »

This is Alyssa, Al's wife.
the suday paper did three write ups on the old man. The pictures don't seem to be on their web site but if you get a chance to pick up today's New Hampshire Sunday News there's a good pic. on page A18.

http://www.theunionleader.com/Articles_show.html?article=20825&archive=1
Engineering analysis of NH symbol: a miracle

http://www.theunionleader.com/
Nature reclaims classic NH icon and Crew climbs to inspect site of slide

« Last Edit: May 04, 2003, 11:29:57 AM by admin »
Al Hospers

web hosting, design and software programming:
 http://www.cambersoft.com

DWarriner

• NEClimbs God
  • - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2003, 08:44:51 PM »

>>it is important to remember whenever you climb
>>there that Canon is an active and constantly
>>exfoliating cliff. stuff is always coming off it. it
>>blows me away when I see folks climbing there
>>without helmuts.

Yes, always wear your helmet at Cannon or any alpine environment.

Even the most evil among us is safety conscious.  Here Darth Vader shows us the importance of wearing your helmet...

http://www.climbingboulder.com/community/album/1491.html

With that said, I'm not sure even the largest of helmets would have done you any good if you were on Lakeview when the Old Man came down.

Maybe "The Force" could have helped.

-David

There are no stupid questions - only stupid answers.

John Bartlett

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2003, 04:40:59 AM »

Eeek Darth Vader a Climber, May that farce be with us.

Looks like lake view is off my list of things to do this summer atleast who knows though if it will be safe or the same ever again.

I had my first experience last September on Cannon. A friend and I swapped leads on Whitney Gilman. I was immediately turned on by the cliff that had intimidiated for many years. That scree field looked emence and dangerious. I was hoping to get the courage again to do lake view this year with my partner. That's not happening.

This sad natural occurance should remind us all that anything unknown and unexpected can happen at anytime. A helmet definately wouldn't have helped anyone on Lake View, still that's know reason to leave it in the car. Anywhere along Cannon cliff there are millions of fallen rocks to prove it.

jb

PS I didn't get a chance to venture up there this weekend, I'm sure it was quite busy with the morbidly coursious. I have a yearing in my heart to face the truth and see things for myself I know what my emotions are telling me, but I think I might just sit and cry when I finnally get to see first hand the wonders of our natural world. The Old Man has been a big part of my emotional and spiritual yearning for the hills, heights and homes of NH.  

drb1215

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2003, 06:23:56 AM »

Here's a good shot of the rock fall

« Last Edit: May 05, 2003, 06:54:34 AM by drb1215 »

jsaccenti

• NEClimbs Newbie
    • www.cranburypress.com
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2003, 08:28:41 AM »

"Men hang out their sign indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs oiut a gold tooth; but up in the mountains of New Hampshire, God almighty has hung out a sign to show that there he  makes men"

Daniel Webster.

Sucks.

John Bartlett

• NEClimbs Newbie
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2003, 08:32:15 PM »

That is too funny, Thanks for the laugh, it's so nice to know that when something terrible happens we see a humorious side to it. You've got a great imagination... perhaps borrowed but still great..

JB

Bryan

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2003, 07:40:24 AM »

It really is a tragedy.  I'm just glad it happened at night.
  I am very curious about the amount of damage to the routes in that area, specificly Lake View and Consolation Prize.  Those are two classic NE routes.  
 Does anybody know where I can view pictures of Cannon after the rockfall?
Bryan

jb not logged in

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2003, 01:34:32 PM »

Check some of the links on the previous posts Al's wife has done some good links that will give you a couple of pictures.

And All has a some good insight as to the status of the routes in the resting places of the old man.

JB
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 23 queries.